Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A message for those scared by Noro

A message for those scared by Noro

Hi guys,

Instead of replying to a lot of threads about the dreaded Norovirus, I thought I would start a new one and hopefully reassure and make you all feel much happier, more comfortable and fairly informed.

Why the fear in the first place?
    If I asked most of you (admittedly not all of you-but the vast majority of you) why you were so scared of this stomach virus you would probably start with: " ...because I read that...." Or "...because I heard that...." Etc etc. I have a friend who is very fun loving and enjoys venturing out, meeting lots of people, travelling-she's always out and about and she's full of life and really happy. The other day when I happened to mention this Norovirus, she knew absolutely nothing about it. Nothing. She doesn't spend her time reading what the papers have to say or googling the net for what nasty horror stories on Noro. Despite her mixing with a lot of people and her adventures she has never been ill as long as I can remember. The press will write about stuff like this to sell their papers. Why? Because people will see it on the front page and they'll pick it up and take the paper to the till, because they're scared and they want to know what the paper has to say about it-they want to be in the know-they want to know how bad it is. All this sensationalism makes the press their money. What do they really know? No more than you and me!

Statistics and Risks
    Ok, so we know it's around. We know it exists. BUT, if we're honest, does it really affect us? By "us" I mean those people who lead normal, healthy lives, who don't fall into a high risk category, who are careful with their hygiene, but who unfortunately suffer from a bit of anxiety. For you to be at risk of Norovirus you need to be in the right place at the right time. This would mean for example, if you were a healthcare worker in a busy hospital and a number of patients on the ward you look after have this virus. You have to help them recover, perhaps wash them, wash their sheets, clean up any messes they may have made-ok, quite high risk-but how many of you who are worried do this job? Another risk factor, is if you are a parent and your child has it (which I appreciate has been the case a few times on this forum), however even if you are at higher risk, this does not guarantee you bad luck. This is not a given. Out of an estimated 66 million people in the UK about 600 000 to a million (being generous) people will be unlucky enough to contract this virus-and that will be from extreme exposure circumstances. The other 65 million people won't get it. Do you think it's realistic to think you will be one of them?

Transmission
    The virus is transmitted via the fecal-oral route. So, this means you need to swallow the viral particles of the virus in order to possibly become infected. The viral particles are not the same as the particles of a common cold where it is possible to breathe them in from an infected person. These particles are only present in the stool and vomit of an infected person. So, to be at risk someone would have to vomit right next to you. When is this likely to happen to you, walking through town, sitting in a restaurant, meeting your friend, sitting next to your work mate? Not very likely at all, as most people would stay away from public areas, if they were ill. The only thing you do need to be aware of is that the virus can linger on surfaces, so hand washing is key to avoiding this-especially if you touch objects such as cash machines, chip and pin machines, public door handles etc.

Staying safe
    As simple as it sounds, handwashing is the best preventative. The portable handgels can have their advantages, but they will not be very effective against Noro. All you need is soap and warm water. Do not use boiling water, as this will burn you. Warm water is fine. Be generous with the soap and make sure you rub it in gently all over your hands, between the fingers, palms and the front of the hands-this may take up to 30 seconds, then rinse, but remember you are not killing the virus-it is being flushed down the drain. Use clean towels, keep hard surfaces clean and don't let anyone prepare food for you, if you know they have the virus. Other than this, a good diet will help and generally a healthy lifestyle.

If you do get it...
    ...it is not the end of the world. Think back in your life at some things that happened to you in the past that were scary or unpleasant. Now, look at yourself. You got through it-the same as you will get through this. Nobody is denying this virus is unpleasant, but it is not as bad as all that either. Fluids should be drunk when they are able to be kept down, followed by a diet of bland foods for a couple of days. Your body will fight the virus itself and within 2-3 days you will be fine. Always remember that.

Finally, believe in yourself and not in what other people have to say. People are all gossip queens and thrive talking about stuff like this-don't listen to them and don't listen to the papers either, as it's all overrated! Just follow the basic hygiene rules, be sensible and you will be absolutely fine. I'm sure if I ask you again in the summertime, who actually suffered from this, a lot of you will say you didn't. If I ask you who was scared of it, you will all say you were! Now, please guys. Give a yourself a break. Allow yourself to be happy. Don't get stuck inside your head. Have some confidence and be the strong people that you all are. Have a fantastic Christmas and New Year and I hope all your wishes come true. Take care guys!

Re: A message for those scared by Noro

Brilliant post thank you, calmed me down a lot

Thank you for your thoughtful post - and for wanting to reassure us emets! Unfortunately, whilst we can read and take it in and try to be logical, when vomiting is more terryifying than death (no exaggeration) it is very hard to stay logical.

We do everything we can to minimise the risks, but we have no control over other people who don't take care of hygiene and don't think about how they could be contaminating others by not washing and going out when they're still contagious.

It does help to read the facts - I will keep coming back to read this when I need reminding

Thanks.

.....and a ninja.

so... any time you get into a panic over this, come & read Iced Diamond's excellent post. Read it over & over until this new healthier version of events replaces any unrealistic fears or views that have stuck in your mind previously.
    This is a sound & realistic version so let's stick to it.

Thank you Iced Diamond .. what you say is so true. I once went to a therapist and told her I was petrified of Norovirus and her reply was 'What's that?' She really had never heard of it .. she didn't read papers or watch T.V.
    I'll keep coming back to your post .. I'm trying so hard, because I really do want rid of this phobia. It spoils so much of my life.
    Thank You

What a great post, thank you do much . I will keep this in my mind. It has helped me already, let's all try together to keep this in perspective and I wish you all a wonderful Christmas and a healthy one x

Thank you so much for this post..I have been a bag of nerves today as a sickness bug is going around my neighbour hood and I'm worring incase my household get it..I've had 3 panic attacks today already..reading your post has calmed me down so much

Thanks for this lovely calm logical and thoughtful posting.I have read it, digested it and cogitated it. And for the time being my sensible logical self is happy with the words you so kindly wrote..x

Considering someone in my area complained of having the Norovirus on the 20th, I've heard of no one else go down with it in my area, which is great. I'm still taking extra precautions though, and so is the rest of my family.

I've stopped looking at the News and stuff about it as well now as it just makes everything worse.

.....and a ninja.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information