Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A message for those scared by Noro

Re: A message for those scared by Noro

Thank you for such a reassuring and matter of fact post Iced_diamond. I've had the most horrid day due to anxiety and reading your post has helped calm me down a little. As with others, the logical part of my brain knows all this but just cannot rationalise with the phobia part....but I always feel a little better when someone else can provide reassurance so thank you.

This is awesome thank you

Hi all, I'm really glad that I have managed to calm some of you down with my post. I appreciate how hard it can be to try and see past all the hype, but we really have to guys. This week alone there have been many more stories about the virus and you might hear that a lot of cruiseliners have been plagued with it. This has been occupying the news for the last week. Best thing to do is ignore it, but if you can't then look at it this way: The news reported about how awful all the outbreaks on cruise ships are and how all the passengers have suffered so dreadfully-but out of over 2000 people on the cruise ship about 103 passengers had it. So, all the hype was over 103 people. The reports didn't bother mentioning that the other 1900 people were fine-again, that's typical for the press. And these other 1900 people didn't get it and they were in a much more risky position than maybe you and I, so that goes to show that we are not all doomed. just keep up the good hygiene, as you would anyway and you'll be fine. Let them carry on talking and making sloppy, uninteresting, boring, old hat and childish news reports- meanwhile we'll all celebrate a great start to 2013, ok?

Thank You! Yes ... very determined now!

Iced_diamond; i'm still grateful.... i had to visit my partner's family xmas day & 2 of them had the virus in the days leading up to it. i reassured myself by quoting (in my head) some of the content of your post. thats the way forward for anyone with a phobia, replacing the fear with things that are more realistic & dont play up to the fear or allow the downward spiral of thoughts. i'm always grateful to anyone that makes statements of fact that ease the fear. thats why i found cbt so helpful as the coping strategies i'd learned & that werent working for me were replaced with a healthy alternative way of thinking.

Tessar .. can I ask you please abot the CBT .. did you go to a therapist or was it done with books, C.D.s etc i.e. self help.

Thank you so much for posting that. It's so refreshing to hear a logical version of the dreaded norovirus.. Oh to be "normal" xx

Positivity all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Grape View Post
    Tessar .. can I ask you please abot the CBT .. did you go to a therapist or was it done with books, C.D.s etc i.e. self help.
    hi grape; i was diagnosed with depression & referred by my doctor for CBT. It was over a year & a half into treatment when I finally admitted to my therapist about this phobia. She was quite shocked I'd never mentioned it before but i explained I didnt want to 'contaminate' my sessions talking about it. In the end it was necessary as friends wanted us to go on holiday abroad with them. That meant flying which meant facing the phobia. There were many other issues I was dealing with that until this point were more important to sort out but I knew eventually the emetophobia would come up (hmnn unfortunate pun).
    My therapist made me talk about it; I had to use the words (that I shant mention now-the ones we all hate). She made me say out loud which I hated; I can still remember sitting there squirming & hating it but it was a necessary part of the process. We discussed statistics about flying, the likelihood of being on a bad flight, how I might feel panicked about being on a plane. Also we discussed how my day-to-day life was affected by the phobia, the stuff that was going round & round in my head, on & on. One thing with therapy is that you do need to face your fears even though it can be very uncomfortable. It helps you accept that just talking about something you fear isnt going to make it happen. You do become more accepting of the situation. So although I came away knowing that I may still have to face situations that would make me anxious, I was far better equipped to deal with it.
    I have a huge pile of self-help books all of which in their own way are helpful to me & I still refer to them regularly. It's like a top up that keeps me toeing the line. I couldnt have done CBT on my own though. For anyone with an issue that's impacting on day to day life, I'd recommend CBT & also doing this with a therapist. Because of the way phobias work its so hard to see alternative viewpoints yourself or to understand what's lying behind the phobia as well. Plus you learn to recognise the negative patterns at their outset & so dont go as far down the line of downward thoughts because you put the brakes on sooner. CBT would certainly help in these respects. Also you can apply the same logic in other areas of your life & experience improvement in them too.
    Before CBT it scared the hell out of me but these days even though I have spikes in anxiety over the phobia, I am able to be more realistic about what is happening. I calm down more quickly than I used to. Just by nature, I still have times when thoughts go round & round in my head but I'm much better to notice the triggers & switch my thoughts elsewhere by changing my focus. There are key things my therapist said to me which I have never forgotten. It's amazing that 7 years down the line, I can recall word for word, things she said to me. All of that comes from doing CBT.
    I'm glad I did it and would recommend CBT to anyone. It needs commitment & you have to be willing to change but it is so worthwhile. It changed my life for the better.

Thanks Tessar, that's been really helpful ... now need to look into it in the New Year and see if I can find a therapist. I've had hypnotherapy and acupuncture but wondered if CBT would be more helpful .. and am now sure it would! Many thanks and Happy New Year!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information