Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A message for those scared by Noro

Re: A message for those scared by Noro

I'm having exposure therapy at the moment, and it's making me nervous, but if it means getting rid of this phobia forever then I'm willing to get through it.

edit: If you do get it eventually, which I highly doubt since we're emets and have the best hygiene then you will be perfectly fine! You will find that the whole worrying part is worse than having the norovirus itself. I've recently had to take care of a friend who's had it since their parents are away, and although I've been getting them stuff, taking the bucket out and cleaning it out etc, I'm fine! I didn't even catch it at all. It's NOT as contagious as we all think it is to be honest.

I hope you all have a fantastic new year!
    Last edited by Rls1994; 31-12-12 at 21:30.

.....and a ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by Rls1994 View Post
    I'm having exposure therapy at the moment, and it's making me nervous, but if it means getting rid of this phobia forever then I'm willing to get through it.

edit: If you do get it eventually, which I highly doubt since we're emets and have the best hygiene then you will be perfectly fine! You will find that the whole worrying part is worse than having the norovirus itself. I've recently had to take care of a friend who's had it since their parents are away, and although I've been getting them stuff, taking the bucket out and cleaning it out etc, I'm fine! I didn't even catch it at all. It's NOT as contagious as we all think it is to be honest.

I hope you all have a fantastic new year!
    The therapy must b working then as I couldn't have done that!
    All the best for 2013 to u & every1 else here

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grape View Post
    Thanks Tessar, that's been really helpful ... now need to look into it in the New Year and see if I can find a therapist. I've had hypnotherapy and acupuncture but wondered if CBT would be more helpful .. and am now sure it would! Many thanks and Happy New Year!
    Excellent news! Funny coz until my year went a bit pear shaped, I'd spoken 2a hypnotherapist & had bn about 2 start treatment. Happy new year 2 u 2!

Hi Rls1994, can I ask what the exposure therapy is like? I'm currently on a waiting list for CBT for my emetephobia and the previous therapist I saw (albeit briefly) forewarned me that CBT would involve this....as you can imagine I cringed and started having palpitations! I fear that it would involve things like having to watch a real person vomit in front of me/watch a clip/film of someone vomiting etc. So I am feeling very nervous about this!

Hey Monkey_Mo.

To be honest, I haven't even had any proper sessions yet. My last session was about the things we're going to go through. My therapist told me to write down things from the least worrying, which for me, is just talking about vomit to the most worrying which of course, is being sick. What they basically do is keep exposing you to something until you no longer have any anxiety over it. For my least worrying problem which is just speaking about vomit, it's not going to be that bad. It's when they get to, like you mentioned, seeing pictures and videos of people vomiting. My therapist did say they're going to do that to me eventually, so of course I'm scared.. :/ But tell me, if it means going through exposure therapy to cure your emetophobia forever would you go through it?

The thing is, they do it very gradually and slowly. I don't know how they're going to get me through my most fearful thing, which is being sick though. They won't get a person to vomit in front of you though, don't worry about that.

They somehow change your thinking habits so that you no longer have the fear. There's only so much they can help you with though, you do need to help yourself too.

When I have my next session, which is on the 7th this month, I will let you know how it goes. I hope we're going to start the real sessions then.

.....and a ninja.

Thanks for that reassuring post! I am so worried about it and this is the first time I have felt like it! :( coming on here though has really helped. I go inn holiday a week on Sunday, I'm terrified of coming down with noro and it ruins the hol!
    I usually don't worry about these things but this year I'm suffering but all the bad press doesn't help! We would all be getting on as normal if it wasn't hyped up!

Oh my goodness ... I was so determined to be positive and was doing really well. Then last night a blue light ambulance came to one of our neighbours who is an elderley man with a long term illness. I asked my hubby to pop down to see if he was o.k. The ambulance people said that he'd had an allergic reaction to his medication .. and was v....ing a lot!!! (which my hubby saw through the window) He wasn't admitted and this morning one of my other neighbours who went in the house says that its norovirus!!!!!!!!!! In spite of my good intentions I am now PARANOID!! My legs are like jelly and my stomach is in my mouth ... and all the other classic anxiety symptoms. My hubby didn't go in the house but was standing outside talking to someone who did. I know I shouldn't be like this .... but I feel terrible. Also, the fact that it's so close to me ... in the neighbourhood is panicking me. I was feeling much better (mind you, I thought it had 'gone away') HELP!!
    Last edited by Grape; 02-01-13 at 12:44.

hi grape, i can relate to how you feel, I'd probably be the same. What you need to do is GET YOUR MIND FOCUSING AWAY FROM WHAT HAPPENED... I know that's not easy as it was close to home but you need to allow this to drift away from your consciousness & FILL YOUR MIND WITH OTHER THINGS, GET BUSY.
    Bearing in mind the reassuring advice I read by Iced_Diamond about noro, there is no way that you are at risk. Your husband didnt touch anything & by just standing there next to someone who'd been in the house - he is not at risk at all. Look at the facts, not your reaction.
    What you need to be doing is re-training yourself not to react as badly. Each time something like this happens, of course there'll be an initial reaction. I still get my "initial reaction" desipite covering this in cbt. But what I now do is tame the reaction because I know it's just that.... a reaction. You are programmed (just like me & other emets) to react this way. So, GET THOSE DISTRACTION TECHNIQUES GOING. Get your mind busy on other subjects. When it comes to anything reminding you of this, change your focus. Be disciplined about it. Take control.
    To give you an example of how this works...........My little niece told me a story over the weekend that (for me to hear) was a gross. This was Sun p.m. I could have spent the rest of the weekend obsessing over it... like I would have done previously or .... I told myself that I could choose that any time I remembered the subject, I could allow the thoughts to slip away & be replaced by something more productive. It worked. Of course I thought about it (like I am now) but the point is I didnt dwell & allow myself to get into a frenzy. Have you had any more thoughts about CBT? It doesnt have to be exposure therapy (there is NO way I would do that). But learning techniques about focus & taking control of situations you can change are very benecifial.
    Oh & Before I go, I congratulate you on your concern for your neighbour - that is very kind of you. Sometimes kindness leads to stuff we dont want to happen but I'm sure in the future you'll still be kind & will act in the best intersts of others :-)

Thank you Tessr .. I am feeling calmer now and am trying to be very busy (post Christmas sort-out!) Your post helped me a lot and yes, I've been looking for CBT therapists in my area (not an easy task .. I would like to see recommendations from others who'd been there. It's quite confusing as there are quite a lot of them to look at but will try to sort something) I find this forum very helpful .. and your recent post has really helped. Thank You!

Thanks to everyone for posting your personal experiences. It helps all us emets to know that we are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape View Post
    Thank you Tessr .. I am feeling calmer now and am trying to be very busy (post Christmas sort-out!) Your post helped me a lot and yes, I've been looking for CBT therapists in my area (not an easy task .. I would like to see recommendations from others who'd been there. It's quite confusing as there are quite a lot of them to look at but will try to sort something) I find this forum very helpful .. and your recent post has really helped. Thank You!
    Excellent, well done u!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information