Thread: Emetophobia - I managed to laugh about it yesterday!

Emetophobia - I managed to laugh about it yesterday!

I was talking to a customer yesterday, we got on to the subject of having panic attacks in supermarkets (christmas shopping and all that) and it led on to me telling her about a couple of things that have happened recently...

A little while ago my son had a friend stay over - I did mention it in a post on here. I was so worried about having him at the house, didn't sleep because I was listening out for him getting up for the bathroom in the night. The problem was, I didn't know where he'd been the last few days, if he'd been around anyone ill, or what he'd eaten and if it was safe. As I was saying it we both started laughing - yeah, I did sound crazy! I then went on to say that I wouldn't be having anyone in my house over christmas (for the same reason). I was really rambling on, as if I was talking about something awful I'd read in the paper or whatever.

I also told her my son has been ill this week (bad sinus infection) and that even though he was well enough to go back to school a couple of days ago I kept him home - his immune system might be low, all sorts of bugs going around at school, he might be more likely to pick something else up... again we laughed about it.

Finally, I told her that my husband was supposed to be going out for a meal last night - he actually asked me if he could go (bless, I really don't mind him going out!). My only concern was where they would be going. Would it be clean? What sort of food? Please don't have curry or anything that might make him bad (anything dairy heavy basically) or anything unusual for him and to please not eat at all if it wasn't spotless, or to eat anywhere there was any kind of buffet/help yourself arrangement. I had been worried about it for days, but in the end it was cancelled (huge sigh of relief!).

I really did sound like a lunatic, but this lady has her own anxiety problems and we did laugh about it all - I never thought I would do that. As I was leaving I made her promise to text me if she or anyone in her house got ill so that I would know not to call on her. And you know what, maybe she did think I was a little crazy but I didn't care - it felt good to be able to see the funny side.

Re: Emetophobia - I managed to laugh about it yesterday!

Hi Angelai - I'm impressed you could laugh about it all - especially as you never thought you'd do that. You probably also made that lady's day too as she was probably reassured at this nice kind lady taking an interest & being able to share with her. It doesnt matter if she did think you were a little crazy - at least you could see the funny side. I told a couple of my colleagues recently about my emetophobia, i'd half expected them to look at me like I was mad but they were really quite sympathetic. It made me realise I can talk to some people about it & wont be thought of as odd or crazy. Humour & laughing is a good release that's for sure.

Thread Information