Thread: Health Anxiety Sufferer

Health Anxiety Sufferer

Hi everyone

Thank you if you find the time to read this.

I feel stupid that I even have anxiety as I know I don't really have any good reason to be anxious as I have a very stable home, good relationship, beautiful children. I know there are people in much worse situations who have reasons to be upset, worried...so it makes me feel bad that I feel this way.

To cut my story short - I have suffered with health anxiety my whole life. I can remember when I was 6 I went to a museum with my grandma and saw paintings of people with their head chopped off and after that for a very long time I thought my head was loose and going to fall off. That is my earliest memory of this annoying anxiety and I have had many more since then.

I am currently in a very very anxious stage. I had some tests done to check my vitamins and minerals and also a health profile check and I had a couple of deficiencies, but it was an over active enzyme that scared the life out of me as that particular one was linked with als. (The worst form of motor neuron disease). My nutritionist basically said that yes you might have this faulty gene but just enjoy life and everyone gets something when they are older (I am 28!) and you just have to accept it. Needless to say, I went in major panic mode thinking I am going to get this awful disease and then there is a 50% chance of passing it on to your children. (I have 2 young boys).

I was thankfully reassured by the head of the lab (who knows what he is talking about) that my results didn't mean I was going to get that and 15-20% of everyone they see have a high reading of that particular enzyme. My nutritionist said it was rare! Obviously not entirely sure of what she is talking about.

But still, I am suffering with panic symptoms. I have had on and off dry mouth, too much saliva, lips and tongue tingling and pins and needles in arms and legs and can't seem to just relax and realise that I am causing it myself.

Well done if you got this far.

Just wanted to introduce myself and get this out of my system as my husband and mother are not being very sympathetic. I had to just call a hotline as I really feel that I have no one who I can talk to that understands.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Re: Health Anxiety Sufferer

You sound as though you are describing me as like you I have acute health anxiety and spend each and every day worrying about any little symptom that might occur. It is the most awful feeling. Am interested to know the hot line you called. Have only heard of the Samaritans.

Hi iamstrong

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I like your pseudo, iamstrong

Welcome to the forum, you'll certainly find support and sympathy here.

I read through your post thinking that you've really got a downer on yourself, and little self-confidence. I could be wrong the use of "if you've got this far", and "if you find the time to read this" could just be a new member being terribly polite and unassuming.

I'm sure lots of us have "nothing to be anxious about" in the eyes of those who don't understand. My anxiety disorder also stated in childhood, although I did have a major health condition and life-saving operations which maybe contributed to mine.

That said, some people are just susceptible to anxiety, it's sometimes hereditary, sometimes there's no reason at all. It's certainly not a weakness.

Thank you for your replies

Had to run up as my youngest woke up. Both my boys are now developing colds and coughs just in time for xmas

Frankie123 - I am sorry that you suffer with this as well. It is awful, and frustrating! I called the No Panic hotline - their number is 0800 138 8889. They are open from 10-10 every day. the lady also gave me a number to an automated 24 hour service which has a voice message that is very calming and gets you to breath properly. That number is 01952 680835.

Mark13 - thank you.
    I do try to be polite and I guess I get worried that people think I am wasting their time. That there are so many bigger issues out there that I need to get a grip. I guess that is why I write the way I do.

I am sorry you have suffered with anxiety since you were young too. I believe there is always a trigger and like you said what you went through probably did start it. Have you tried CBT for your anxiety?

I think mine can be linked to when my parents divorced when I was 5 - because I don't seem to remember any panic attacks before that. Although I have suffered a lot with terrible nightmares - awful ones, and those I can remember from as young as 3-4.
    What do you do to try and help your anxiety?

to NMP. This is a friendly site with good information and support. XV

Hi IAMSATRONG
    i too suffer health anxiety it all started a while back for me and i didnt realise i was getting worse started as an oral problem for me with constant visits to doctors and dentists. I too felt that was always a burden on others with some people just saying sure snap out of there is nothing wrong with you. only recently my problems worsened with some bad additions to the symptoms i already had bad thoughts naseu and total lack of wanting to do anything.
    Despite numerous visits to the doctor getting back good bloods tests and her generally telling me im ok i still have aches and pains and i still jump to worse case scenarios but im trying not to, I know exactly how you feel i like us all here am battling this thing as well. somedays i get pain and i say thats anxiety and fight it others its oh my god what is that and its anxiety all over again.

I am in my second session of CBT tommorow and i will post how i get on so hang in there and we will beat this thing i fully believe now i will but its gonna take a lot of hard work to beat it i just realized it took a while to get here and its gonna take a while to get free hang in there Graham

Thread Information