Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is nausea actually common in people with emetophobia?

Is nausea actually common in people with emetophobia?

It seems like I'm always feeling deathly nauseous these days... so much that I say to myself 'this is it! Your time is up' but then nothing ever happens... Only on the rare odd occasion that I feel fine now.

It's affected my eating as well. I have to force myself to eat during the day even though I really don't want to.. I cannot sleep because I always feel something come up to the back of my throat, then it's either a burp or it goes back down again. This feeling just adds more to the nausea for a few seconds.

My parents just think that I just don't want to sleep, and I should go bed earlier, but it won't make any difference.. It's not going to stop that... whatever it is that's coming up when I'm laying down.

I'm really depressed about it and don't know what to do... I have another CBT session tomorrow in my surgery but I really don't want to go incase we pick the Norovirus up from there and ruin Christmas day.

No matter how much I try to distract myself I can't shake the nausea feeling... It was absolutely terrible last night, I was actually convinced I was going to at one point, but nothing ever happened.

It feels like I'm full of wind and no matter how much I burp, the bloating feeling and nausea is still there.. It feels like I need to burp, but then sometimes, like last night, I couldn't... it just makes the nausea worse.

I actually question why I live anymore since I've never been happy since primary school.. I cannot stop crying.. It's my fault why I have this stupid phobia, I shouldn't have let it control me..

.....and a ninja.

Re: Is nausea actually common in people with emetophobia?

Aw I'm so sorry you feel like this I have emetaphobia too and I know how frustrating and depressing it can be. From what I hear nausea if extremely common in ppl with this phobia. Possibly because we notice nausea more and perceive what other people might call 'mild nausea' as much worse. And also because nausea is one of the most common symptoms of anxiety so when you're constantly anxious or stressed you tend to feel nauseous more, which causes you to be anxious, which makes the nausea worse etc etc.

It may put your mind at rest if you were to see your Dr. and rule out any physical cause? Also, some people find things like mints, gum, a flat soft drink or travel sickness bands help so you could try these remedies. If it is connected to anxiety any type of relaxation method like hypnotherapy or yoga may help reduce your stress levels and, in turn, the nausea.

I'm struggling as well at the moment so fully understand how scary the whole thing it. But please remember, it's not your fault. Hope the CBT helps and that you get some relief

Hi everyone. I can't believe how similar your symptoms are to mine!

I have the fear of being sick, and I fear it more than death. It all started as a fear of dry heaving. When I was in secondary school is gagged in lesson, as I had a cold and extremely dry throat, which is how it all started!

Recently though, with the increase in Stomach viruses the fear has become more actually vomiting than dry heaving.

Its weird as the fear isn't of vomiting in public (Though I would hate to do that) its doing it when Im in a "safe" environment such as my house, or with family and friends, which lead me to panic. My biggest fear is my loved ones watching me make a fool of myself as I panic!

I constantly feel that my stomach is "hurting" and that I can feel vomit creeping up my throat. I haven't vomited for about 3 years, and haven't gagged for no reason for years as well.

I always have these thoughts, such as "O god any minute now Im going to be sick" or "This is it, im going to vomit now" I just have the annoying thought that, If i vomit or dry heave again, Ill never be able to stop. Its frustrating as I know its stupid and unrealistic thoughts, but its like my mind doesn't want to believe me, which doesn't make sense as my mind is me!!!

I think what makes it worse for me, is that no one can reassure you that your not going to be sick, as No one can no for sure!!!!

Anyway thank you for sharing your story, as not only does it make me realise Im not going crazy, but because I think that through communicating, we can all help each other get over this awful phobia!

Oh Rls1994, I am so sorry you are feeling so terrible right now. I have seen a lot of your posts and I know you are very frightened. Life is worth living, even with emetophobia and terrible anxiety, you can cope with this, it will pass. When my anxiety is at its worse, I spend the whole time feeling nauseas. I also find it difficult to burp and I swallow repeatedly, making things worse. Breathing exercises could be something to try. CBT has been very helpful to me, I hope that if you can stick to the sessions and are willing to learn, you will begin to feel much happier and more relaxed. You are not alone with this.

Hi guys, thank you all for your kind words. It means a lot to me.

I am yet to be seen by another doctor about my worrying physical symptoms. But yes, I will definitely ask if I could have some tests done to put my mind at ease. If they do find something, I won't worry too much, because least I know what this is and they can treat it (for good hopefully).

It seems as if I have a very hard time relaxing. If I'm really nauseous and I'm breathing more faster that I just can't snap out of it. I, too, also get thoughts like 'Oh my, you're going to barf!' but then nothing ever happens... To be honest, I cannot even remember how you felt beforehand when you're going to be sick. It's been so many years for me now. All I remember was that it was something uncontrollable and of course, awful.. The only time I used to barf was if I had the Norovirus.

Speaking of CBT kitty, I'm having it now. My second session is tomorrow morning and I cannot even sleep because of this stupid feeling in my throat. I have all day to sleep afterwards though so that's OK I guess. But I just don't want to screw up my sleeping pattern. As if it isn't bad enough now..

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas on Tuesday and get everything you want.

.....and a ninja.

Best of luck for your CBT ... do you find it helps? I know it sounds impossible, but have a Happy Christmas and lets hope we hear less and less of the dreaded word ....

It could be acid/reflux - it can cause symtoms like you describe, it doesn't necessarily cause burning. I get the same thing, it feels like something is coming up into my throat, I get pain (not burning, just pain) and feel very sick. Often when I lie down I get the tacky feeling in my throat and start coughing with it. I also get very bloated and uncomfortable. Yeah, I feel sick A LOT. I get a gurgly tummy and that makes me panic more that I have a bug or something.

Acid/reflux is made worse by anxiety, and by not eating enough. Sometimes I just have to force myself to eat something like a few crackers. Maybe try some rennie, see if that helps at all.

I am also terrified of being sick, I know how you feel xxx

---------- Post added at 10:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

Oh, forgot to add - when I feel like I need to burp and it won't come, sometimes I can feel a tacky or foamy stuff come up into my throat as well, it's really scary as I always think it's v*. Again, I never get any burning.

Angelai, thank you for the reply!

Yup, I've also been told by quite a lot of people I may have Acid Reflux too, but I need to make sure it is just that and nothing else. So, I'm seeing a doctor on the 14th January.

You're definitely right though, anxiety makes it worse for sure. And since your stomach produces more acid when you're anxious, well....

Tea seems to make me regurgitate for some odd reason... Like earlier for example, I drank some and when I burped I felt liquid come back up and had an awful sick taste in my mouth. Extremely unpleasant! Egg fried rice also makes it worse I've noticed.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

.....and a ninja.

I've had been having the exact same reactions to you
    I feel bloated and burpy all the time..I suck mints to disperse the wind but still feel bloated.
    I'm not sleeping,I've lost weight because I have days (like today) when I'm constantly on edge because I'm feeling nauseous and bloated!.
    I've had tests for acid reflux,IBS and all kinds if other things but its all due to my panic attacks.
    The stomach reacts when you have an anxiety attack and with fast breathing etc,can all contribute to the bloaty feeling..
    I've learnt to deal with this feeling now but still suffering with attacks.
    The past couple of weeks it's been a daily struggle but the past 4 days I've had none but then today I've had 3 because I've felt abit icky but that could be due to the fact it's been on my mind ALL DAY!!!..
    I know how you are feeling..I'm exactly like you..fingers crossed we can get through this
    Xxx

Haylea, I'm so sorry you are also experiencing this also. It is truly awful.. I would not wish this phobia on anyone.

Like you, I'm not sleeping because of the nausea and some other problems that keep me awake. I think I managed to get 5 hours sleep last night though which was incredibly surprising. I'm not eating much either, because to be honest, it just makes my nausea worse. I have to force myself to eat stuff these days even though I really do not want to eat.

Today has been OK, but I've been having IBS like symptoms for the past 4 hours now. It's only starting to clear now since I'm a little relaxed.

I'm having exposure therapy at the moment which is making me awfully nervous.. They're going to start with the thing I least get panicy over, then work our way up to the most fearful thing. And that of course, is being sick.... How will they do it? They're not going to make me sick, are they? If they are, then I don't want to go there anymore when I get to that point. Thing is, I WANT to get over this horrid phobia, so I'm going to try my very best to get through all the CBT sessions.

If I had one wish to have ANYTHING, I would treat every single one of you with emetophobia, including myself.

Haylea, have a fantastic Christmas and try not to worry too much tomorrow ok? Enjoy your day and I hope you get everything you want!

.....and a ninja.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information