Thread: Starting uni

Starting uni

I am due to start uni in 3 weeks and im getting so anxious about it. upto about 2 weeks ago i had been doing ok at getting my panic & anxiety under control, had been setting myself goals & achieving them. Id been having doubts about whether id actually be able to start uni in this state but i managed to drive there a couple of weeks ago & that really boosted my confidence. But about 2 weeks ago i felt ill whilst out shopping put it down to anxiety & finished my shopping but i havent felt well enough to take on any new challenges since then got a sore throat & cough & generally feel crap but i think its only a cold at the end of the day. Im hoping i should feel ok in a few days but im also terrified that i might just have gone back to square one and undone all my hard work. Been waiting for counselling for over a year & have been told im top of the list. Am i just being stupid thinking i can start uni in this state?
    Sorry to whinge i know there are people much worse off than me.
    Love
    Suzy xx:(

Suzy

Hey you can do I am sure of that. It will be a fantastic challenge for you and one that you will be very proud of.

At the end of the day you can always leave if things get so bad but imagine if they didn't and you did it and felt fine!

What are you going to study can I ask?

Good luck and we are all wishing you well.

Nicola

Trust me, you will have a great time Suzy. The anxiety you feel now will melt away once you have been there a few days, made friends and get caught up in all the fresher activity.

Think of it like this: the only reason you feel anxious is because of a few rogue chemicals in your brain at the moment. Tomorrow you might feel totally different and next week different again.

Enjoy, it only comes once

alicia

This helped me (so I don't go on about it!):
    www.alphadynamics.com

I agree, give it a go, what have you got to lose?

Everyone will be nervous, it is after all a totally new experience and you will all be in the same boat.

Good luck and best wishes!

Kate x

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

Hi there, sorrry you are feeling rough right now. It will pass, i think the colds you get during the summer months seem to linger a lot longer? Then the anxiety sets in because we feel low. Just keep reminding yourself how well you have been doing, and that you will feel confident again, once your health gets back to normal. Give it a go, as has been said you have nothing to lose, walk away if you can't cope. take care, good luck and enjoy your next few weeks before 'term time' xxxxxxjean

Hiya
    Thankyou all for the words of support & encouragement its good to know people have faith in me even though i am yet to convince myself i can do this! I am going to be studying events management so its quite a practical course where we go on visits so its scaring me to death but iv tried doing an office job & i cant imagine doing that for the rest of my life, got bored after a year! I have previously done 2 years of a teaching course where i lived in halls but it all got a bit much & i ended up with this anxiety so i have decided to live at home this time, so this is kind of my last shot at uni as i cant afford to keep doing half a course!
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply, hopefully i can post a success story in a few weeks !
    Love & hugs
    Suzy xx

Hi suzy
    I am in the same situation as you right now. I have 2 weeks to go and ive been settin myself goals and achieveing some of them. I feel really low and I can see only one choice to get out of this is to do some thing terrible. I dnt want to but my life has become over taken my these stupid feelings that I cnt do anything anymore with out panicing and being sick. I feel so worthless. I am trying my best but I cant do any more and nothing seems to be fixing itself. Ive had panics since I was 9 and they have come and gone. But this is the worse phase ive ever had. I really dont no what to do because I want to go to uni

hi i had really bad anxiety when i first went to uni a few yrs ago.... scared of leaving home, scared of making new friends, scared of leaving mum (her dad had just died), i was ok at first, then lost it for a while, but finding good friends and seeing my uni counsellor really helped and i got over it... I'm one of those people who worries constantly and has had periods of it being worse ie anxiety attacks and depression! but going to uni was one of the best things i ever did, it gave me the chance to get my dream job and the feeling of acceptance and usefulness at the end was worth it!! plus i had the best time in the pub and of course learning new stuff

dont worry about it!! if you think it might be a problem ask your uni about their counselling service, as far as im aware they all offer services, and talk to your tutor and doc, my only prob ws that my uni doc was adamant i needed meds... when in reality i needed someone to talk to to allow me to relax enough to make friends which in the end was all i really needed!!! oh one last piece of advice, if you are struggling it can be very tempting to go home every wkend, at the end of the day it means you will miss out on so so so much stuff!!

good luck and I'm sure in a few weeks you'll be wondering why you were so worried!! i hope some of this helps!!!

sorry i didnt read your post properly!!! i didnt mean any offence by saying dont go home all the time!!!

good luck with your course

Just before I went to Uni I had really bad depression. I got there and i vividly remember being on the phone to my dad and saying how much I hated it and that the southerners were all stuck up. I literally put the phone down and walked across into the student union bar and I was greeted with cheers and 'glad to see you's' and it completely changed my mood instantly. To think that I could have put the phone down and got back to my student halls and felt miserable.

Ok, anxiety and panic attacks add a new layer to things, but (in my opinion) excitement is the opposite of depression and anxiety is a form of depression (according to my doctor). Going to Uni is such an exciting time. You're going to meet so many new people and have so many new adventures. You'll be so distracted by your new life that you'll actually FORGET about being depressed/ anxious.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Thread Information