Thread: Anxiety about enjoying yourself?

Anxiety about enjoying yourself?

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies for how stupid this sounds. I appreciate that a lot of people are going through really difficult things and, in the grand scheme, of things this is not a big issue but I just wondered if anyone else gets this.

I get very anxious about enjoying myself or treating myself to something new which results in me not buying anything/doing anything as I'll feel guilty and end up more panicky and be scared to use it/wear it etc etc.

Just contemplated buying a watch for ages and ended up getting myself all anxious and stressed about it. Which is just ridiculous because there's enough things in the world to be stressed about and I'm being completely selfish and getting in a state about a watch which I could just not buy anyway.

Therapist advised me to acknowledge but ignore the guilt and carry on as if it wasn't there. Which is great in theory but quite hard to do Anyway, does anyone have the same sort of feelings or am I alone and completely crazy?!

Re: Anxiety about enjoying yourself?

I know what you mean. When I was at my worst, I used to worry about going out in case I didn't enjoy it as much as I used to. For example, this July (when I was feeling really bad) I went on a couple of outings to the beach, which was something I always used to enjoy, but when I got there I kept worrying about whether I would be able to enjoy myself fully. The intrusive thoughts were always in my mind and I felt that I couldn't enjoy myself properly.

In the past I have occasionally felt guilty about buying things, especially if they are expensive things which some people wouldn't be able to afford.

Hi, I think I understand what you mean. If I do, then yes, I sometimes feel the same. With me, I worry more about having a good time, as I feel something will happen to ruin my fun/enjoyment. For example my sister had her Birthday late November and we had arranged weeks prior to spend the day in London. All the time waiting I was worried, as I thought something bad would happen before or something bad would happen when we're there...It's weird, I sort of punish myself for wanting to have a good time-is that what you mean as well? I think that the key is to ignore it and later say: wow, i just did what i wanted to do and nothing bad happened as a result-i'll do that again. .

Thanks for the replies. That's exactly what I mean, I end up punishing myself for doing something nice. I suppose the only way through it is to just be tough and ignore the guilty thoughts and feelings but it's really hard!

Hi, you really shouldn't feel "guilty" just for having a good time. Good times are what we are supposed to have. I do understand where you're coming from though, as I have had these feelings in the past as well. To be honest most of my friends and family members enjoy rather fun-rich lives-they go on exotic holidays, have parties, go out to nice places. I don't do so much, as a) my job takes up a lot of time and makes me tired and b) because often I find fun things a "hassle", like going on holiday and getting ready for parties etc-but that's just my personal preference. You should never feel guilty for enjoying yourself. The very fact that you are concerned about this, actually shows that you are a nice, considerate person. So, you deserve good times. Do the things which you feel like doing and don't punish yourself for it.

Thread Information