Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diazepam long term?

Diazepam long term?

My GP offered me diazepam but only for 5 days. I refused as I said there would be little point as the anxiety would hit again afterwards.

I'm suffering extreme anxiety, panic, insomnia, weak limbs, feeling sick, social anxiety, agoraphobia.... After my brother attacked me in September my anxiety hit and I've been in a constant state of anxiety. In the last month it's got so much worse where I now struggle to go out.

I had a reaction to an SSRI drug 8 years ago, my GP says we as limited with meds. I've explained that I don't feel depressed although this constant state of anxiety is bringing me down alot, I want my life back! He suggested the trycilcic med I was on 8 years ago, Dosulepin, but admitted GPS don't like to prescribe it as it has a high risk of causing heart disease, this has put me off. I went back Monday and he had nothing else to suggest as apparently I'm too sensitive to medication.

I'd like to try diazepam, my mum said it worked wonders for her but my question is, can you take it for longer than 5 days? Why can't you take it long term for anxiety if it works?

Re: Diazepam long term?

Dear Pearl

It is interesting reading your situation.

I am also intolerant to all SSRI drugs and currently take propranololand valium when required .
    Most GP's don't like to prescribe Valium for long term as it is very addictive,but in my case it works like an emergency pill and has a quick effect but the short term life is about 5 hours. I have maintained the same dosage for several years and it still has the desired effect.
    The key is to take it half an hour or so before you have to do anything that might make you so anxious. not if you are having a small blip which may pass within a short time, but I can only speak for myself.

5 days dosage IMO is not the right answer, I would discuss this again with your GP.Good luck.
    Last edited by ricardo; 27-12-12 at 08:03.

Thank you.

I'm hoping to see my GP again soon as I'm left with no help. I've got co stat anxiety even at home,panic attacks etc... I feel it racing around my body all day:( it's not good, I've 3 children and I want to feel like me again for their sakes. My anxiety is worse when going out and I often go home feeling terrible after a trip to the shops, even if I've managed it.

I can't take SSRI meds, I'm limited and the one drug I know I'm ok with, GPS are now not advised to prescribe, I feel I m just left to cope alone, it's making my life a misery feeling this anxious:(

I only ever had Valium prescribed for 10 days. That's because of it's addictive qualities and also tolerance to it builds up very quickly, so you would need more and more to get the same effect.

Generally I would agree with that but I assure you in my case I have managed and been helped tremendously with it for a number of years without upping the dose. I am not recommending it, but I can only speak for myself.

Thank you both. I was just curious as to why, if it works so well we can't all take it forever, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    Generally I would agree with that but I assure you in my case I have managed and been helped tremendously with it for a number of years without upping the dose. I am not recommending it, but I can only speak for myself.
    Fortunately, or unfortunately, AFAIK it can't be prescribed here in the UK long-term any more. I believe people who were taking it continuously here were weaned of it where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
    Fortunately, or unfortunately, AFAIK it can't be prescribed here in the UK long-term any more. I believe people who were taking it continuously here were weaned of it where possible.
    Yes this is true as it is highly addictive. My GP will only prescribe small amounts to help me through things that are going to increase or trigger my anxiety like a journey by plane or some medical appointments/procedures.

You got me puzzled lookinng up AFAIK then alarmed as we are moving back to England next year in all probability

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    You got me puzzled lookinng up AFAIK then alarmed as we are moving back to England next year in all probability
    Me too Ricardo...us oldies don't understand this language...I had to look it up too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information