Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone suffer from Magical Thinking / Superstitious OCD? Share your stories

Anyone suffer from Magical Thinking / Superstitious OCD? Share your stories

I have major magical thinking beliefs... which lead me to have to un-visualize any negative thought I see in my mind. Its terrible. DOes anyone else have similiar symptoms they can share with me about?

Re: Anyone suffer from Magical Thinking / Superstitious OCD? Share your stories

Im not sure if this falls into the magical belief category but I do have some very odd thoughts which I now recognise as OCD but hadnt until the other week.

Basically I suffer with health anxiety and worry about my heart with chest pains my main symptom. Over the past few months Ive been having lots of thoughts of dying but also thoughts like "Ill wear my super hero/cartoon character boxer shorts today because I wont die whilst wearing them because it would be embarrassing in the hospital" or like I didnt want to tell my wife about my life insurance because I told myself that my brain wouldnt let me die before I had told her because its important so somehow made myself think that this type of thing was all that was keeping me on the planet!

Ive stopped all these things now and told my wife everything I wanted to tell her and Im still here!! It was her who said that's OCD like someone who feels they have to flip a light switch on and off so many times before leaving a room or someone will die etc. I just didnt recognise it as this until she said this!

Not sure if this is along the lines you mean?

I'm really surprised no one else has posted on this thread. No one else have any thoughts like this?

I don't understand what you mean by magical thoughts ?
    But I constantly have neg thinking am emetophobic (fear of vomiting) and sometimes I can be doing say washing etc and will get a thought like if I don't drop one piece if clothing out the machine I won't be sick etc its silly things that pop into my mind like that I try to tell them to shut up! My neg thinking takes over BIG time with all this norovirus etc its really stressing me out takes over my life wish it would stop

I didnt quite understand what emilshare was asking either but what you say is the same sort of thinking style I have. I know its silly and as I said I hadnt recognised it as OCD until my wife pointed it out to me.

Thanks for replying. Glad im not the only one!

What I mean by magical thinking OCD and Superstitious OCD is that you have the fear that your thoughts will make things happen. When I visualize a thought in my head, I often have to try and unthink the thought, to negate it, or else I fear that the energy of that thought will go out into the universe and make it happen. So I get caught up in mental unthinking rituals for hours upon hours, until I can get the particuliar thought out of my mind, completely, and this involves moving colors and shapes around in my mind because my thoughts are represented usually by colors and shapes. It is extremely fatiguing and it is overwhelming. The bottom line is that I have to undo negative thoughts or else I fear them coming true.

I have never been diagnosed with OCD but I think I understand what you mean. For example, if I lay in bed and wonder if I've turned the gas off then my thoughts escalate to my house being on fire and I would imagine how I would get my cats out etc. I also feel that by thinking these things I am somehow giving power to the idea and that now there is an increased chance that it will actually happen. I also try to 'undo' these thoughts, I use music but you use colours. I thought I was the only one who thought this way.

You use music? Interesting! The color thing is very difficult. Imagine having to picture something in your mind just right and the second you accidentally think of the bad color you have to start all over. It can take up to many hours and days to get just one single thought just perfect! Im going insane from this for sure.

That does sound like it takes up a lot of your time and energy, which can't be good for you at all. Have you told your doctor about this or do they not understand?

Its hard to make them understand. I havent had any luck in finding a psychiatrist who is any good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information