Thread: Dental anxiety

Dental anxiety

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here but I'm hoping I can find some support in an issue I've been suffering with for many many years. I have a major issue with changes being made to my teeth. I don't fear the pain of the dentist or anything of his procedures I just fear what changes he'll make to my teeth. Sadly I have a lot of crowns in my mouth so I've had to deal with this a lot in my life.

A few weeks my dentist started the procedure to crown a tooth that had cracked. I discussed with him my fear of how the new tooth would fit in my mouth and if I could get used to it. He agreed to temporarily cement the permanent crown in my mouth for a week to allow me time to see if I liked it. We did that over the last week and it felt fine. I went in today to have him cement it in permanently and after arriving home the tooth is driving my cheek crazy. I can't seem to stop thinking about it. This is the same tooth that was in and I had no issues. I realize this is most likely an obsessive / anxiety trigger.

I don't know how to deal with the anxiety this creates. It makes me feel like I'm trapped. I can't just remove the tooth. I can't get away from the thing that is causing me this discomfort. I looked at the tooth in the mirror and it looks really nice. The gums look healthy. I do notice a small patch on my inside lip that is near that tooth that looks like a sore. I'm trying to direct my mind to realize that perhaps the tooth isn't bothering me but instead just my inner cheek has a sore. I think my inner lip might get irritated from the cotton he sticks in there during the procedure.

Just looking for helpful words on how to deal with these anxieties.

Thanks

Re: Dental anxiety

I had crowns on 2 of my teeth and I have to say that it caused a lot of pain in my mouth for a few days before it settled down. I hope yours settles soon. Dental work of any kind can irritate your mouth but it will soon go.

Re: Dental anxiety

Over the last 2 years, i have had to have all my teeth taken out. The inital extracts were difficult as my teeth were really well rooted and the procedures left me with a comunication between my mouth and sinus witch had to be fixed, a broken lower jaw and loads of broken bit of bone around. Ihad another 2 operations to take out pieces that were sticking though my gums. 32 small pieces came out naturally. I stiil have 2 or 3 big quite sharp bit that I am constantly playing with/ wiggleing about. Its driving me mad!!! I recently got some falsies, but they feel REALY strange, like a mouth FULL of plastic. Any changes in your mouth will seem strange and will probably take time to get used to. I would say = dont try and obsess about it too much and accept that it will take time to get used to.

Thread Information