Thread: Driving nerves/anxiety

Driving nerves/anxiety

Hi everyone.
    I passed my driving test at the beginning of december.
    Ever since i have been too scared to go out by myself. I have been out once or twice and the times i have been out alone ive made silly mistakes, going down a one way street and having to make a 3 point turn in the dark, beeped at a roundabout due to hesitation and driving over a zebra crossing with someone waiting because i was panicking.
    Ive got to drive everyday to work and back when term starts again on 7th january, i dont know if i can do it.
    Everytime i go out i am paranoid i have jumped a red light or been flashed by a.speed camera. I went through an amber light the other day and have been worried ever since.

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Driving nerves/anxiety

Hi,
    I feel for you. Have you considered the green P which lets other drivers know you are newly qualified? And do you have a friend to come with you for a while to give you more practice. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

I know it must be hard to feel anxious whilst driving, but you MUST keep doing it. My aunt didn't drive for years, as she was too afraid to, and sorely regretted it.

You have passed your driving test, which proves that you are a competent driver. I'll have been driving for 13 years in January and I still make mistakes - we all do! You're not expected to be a confident driver after passing your test so recently - passing is only the start of your learning process. Also, it's good to be a conscientious driver with regard to looking out for lights, etc., but do remember that there isn't a policeman at every set of lights, or every pedestrian crossing

I suggest you invest in some P plates (Halfords sell them, as do some larger supermarkets, for a few £), and take a few 'test drives' between now and when term starts. Choose quiet-ish times until you feel more confident - between 9.30 and 11.30am is a good time here, as is between 1:30 and 2:30pm, as it avoids the work/school/lunchtime rushes.

Thanks guys, its helpful to know there are people out there that understand.
    I might invest in the P plates as they may help me feel more confident.

Just one question though, it isn't illegal to go through an amber light is it?

- Emily Brontė

No it isn't illegal to go through an amber light, it is there to warn you that the lights are changing and in some cases it may be more dangerous to stop quickly so if the light is just changing from green to amber, it is sometimes best to keep going.

Hi GirlAfraid23,

Can't really add much to the already excellent advice given (definitely go for the P plates for a while!) but I just wanted to say that I am still, even after passing my test over 5 years ago, am a very nervous driver.

Unfortunately there are a lot of obnoxious/careless/dangerous road users out there, but the more you go out and drive new places, your confidence will start to rise. I and many others I'm sure, still make silly little mistakes, often due to panicking or being provoked but with experience, you will soon feel like being in a car is second nature.

Don't worry about the amber lights, obviously if you can stop safely do so, but as Annie said, it is just a warning and if you are going at some speed then it is often safer to keep at it, than suddenly breaking.

Hope you start to feel better about it all soon
    Last edited by Monkey_Mo; 29-12-12 at 16:18. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAfraid23 View Post
    Thanks guys, its helpful to know there are people out there that understand.
    I might invest in the P plates as they may help me feel more confident.

Just one question though, it isn't illegal to go through an amber light is it?
    I had P plates on my first car until the day that they blew off when I was doing 70mph on the dual carriageway. I took that as a sign that I no longer needed them

Thanks all.
    Has anybody got any tips for me for general confidence in driving?
    I really hate it

- Emily Brontė

Practice really is the only way you're going to improve your confidence at driving. Although you're struggling more than most, it is very normal to have some nerves at first. New drivers do get beyond that stage, and maybe it's just going to take you a bit longer, but you will get there.

I agree with Edie: the only way to increase your confidence is to get out there and practice driving. It will come though, I promise. My sister was a very nervous driver at first, and for quite a long time after passing her test, but now she's much better and more confident behind the wheel simply because she needed to get places, so she HAD to keep driving.

Thread Information