Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to asking for help

Red face new to asking for help

I'm a student and i have been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for a good few years now, mainly health related and more recently spread into social anxietys and near enough anything, I'm halfway through my university course now and its been getting progressively worse.

i had regular weekly or sometimes daily panic attacks and I'm happy to say I'm not suffering with them so often now, but this has been replaced with constant waves of anxiety and stress, i feel like it happens at random sometimes, i find it very difficult to be in social situations and i get even worse trying to explain to family, feeling as if my mind goes blank and i get overwhelmed with panic and i have a constant fear of falling into another panic attack

its started to affect my sleep as i often can't relax and find myself waking up in the night if i try, i have also started avoiding going out with friends or engaging in conversations. i have never seen anyone about my panic attacks and its getting to the point where i really need to, but i found this website a much better way of worry googling my troubles, it would be nice to hear back from people with similar experiences

thanks,
    grace

Hi grace.M

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: new to asking for help

Hi and welcome. I viewed the website as a guest for ages before finally plucking up the courage to register and ask for help. I'm so glad I did. Everyone is a really supportive lot on here and I'm sure you will be made to feel welcome.

Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help as I have. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

Welcome to the forum, Grace. You will find plenty of advice and support here.

thanks for all the welcome messages i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how i should go about getting help for my anxiety and panic attacks? would it be best for me to see a doctor or see a councillor at uni first?.... I've been putting off seeing anyone about it for years because i kept telling myself it would just go away, but if anything its been getting worse, I'm really nervous about it all if I'm honest

It all depends how severe you think your problems are. If you feel that counselling will help you, you can refer yourself to your university counselling service. I never used the counselling service when I was at university so I can't comment on how effective it is. It could be worth a try though. If on the other hand you feel you need medication, then it's probably best to see your doctor first, as only they can prescribe that.

Hi Grace, there are a number of ways for you to get help, dont try to go it alone as this will not work. If possible try your GP, depending on how he/she is and the services they offer depends on the outcome. Secondly and the way i have recently received help is to access the councelling service your university should offer. This is usually free and very helpful. There will be more people in your situation than you realise. You could try some self help books initially, CBT is a great way of learning to deal with your problems and thought processes.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you need to.

Hi, Grace. Yeah, I would give the uni counsellor a go first and then take it from there. Don't put it off any longer. Take that first step and seek some help. It can only make you feel better. The counsellor will help you to understand why you are feeling this way and you will learn how to recognise the first stages of a panic attack and what you can do to help ease the attack.

I think I know what you mean about your mind going blank. For me, it's when I'm trying to express myself and my brain tries to protect me by going blank and therefore not allowing me to feel the emotion my statement would have provoked.

Please try not to fear panic attacks as that will just make you concentrate on them even more. The intense panic that you feel can only last for a short time if you just let it pass over you and don't fight it and thereby prolong it. I know, easier said than done! But your consellor will help you with this.

thanks again for your replies, has really helped, i go back to uni soon so i can organise seeing a counsellor =] i think having it all explained to me would stop me feeling so panicy all the time and at least then i can get reffered to help rather than botteling it up, as my anxiety really has gotten in the way of me going about my life confidently.

thanks again,
    grace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information