Thread: Health Worries

Health Worries

I worry about the health of my husband. Every time he sneezes I have conjurored up a terminal disease! I have been doing this since we married 37 years ago, when I was 19 and he was 22! To his annoyance, I ask him too often how he is! Nowadays he does have one or two genuine medical concerns, so when he is due to have routine tests to monitor his health I am in a flurry of anxiety!

I know why I am like this, I think. My father was the world's worst hypochondriac and had every disease (in his mind) known to man or alien! Every time he sneezed he thought the worst! Dad eventually died last year at the age of 83 of prostate cancer. It is a pity he spent all his younger years worrying about illness when he actually lived to a good age! It is also possible that the doctor missed the early sgns of his cancer as they had never found much wrong with him in the past!

Funnily enough I have a much more sensible attitude to the health of my children and grandchildren!

Can anyone empathise?

I'm not too bad with my husband, but exaggerated concern is definitely a classic of anxiety sufferers.

The slightest symptom is either a heart attack or cancer. No matter how many times you're proved wrong!

Its hard not to worry when someone is having a genuine health concern, but at least he knows you care!

Lisa.

Thread Information