Just posting this for any MVP sufferers who may not have realised the extent of the relationship between MVP and anxiety.

Stumbled across an American website on MVPS/Dysautonomia (can't do link but if you google it you will see the website) and it was like reading about my life!

Didn't realise how strong the relationship was between this condition and suffering anxiety. Something like 60% of people with MVPS have anxiety.

Essentially the thinking now is that the prolapse is somewhat of a red herring as mostly medically it is irrelevant, but it should instead be seen as a marker that the person may well have an off balance autonomic nervous system. This of course makes you prone to anxiety.

What is suggested to restore a more balanced autonomic nervous system?

1. Exercise. Really important especially in controlling adrenaline.
2. Keep hydrated. MVPS sufferers have a poor thirst recognition and can be operating at only 80% blood volume which will worsen palpitation/ectopic symptoms to which we are prone.
3. Cut out caffeine, sugars and cut down alcohol. (I have already cut out the caffeine it was very hard but has made a world of difference already).
4. Medicate if necessary to allow yourself the opportunity to begin CBT for whatever your lifestyle limiting problems are.
5. Cognitive part of this is basically a positive mental attitude and beginning to analyse and destroy your catastrophic thoughts.
6. Behavioural part of this is slow exposure therapy. For example if you are scared of driving the first start is to sit in the car until you feel fine - even if this is all you can manage for weeks, don't even turn on the engine. It is through small steps and successes that your confidence will grow and your brain will learn new realities.

All the above seems like good advice to me even if you haven't got a MVP, and by the way I think that something like 40% of people screened for MVP who thought they had MVP syndrome had no prolapse visible on the valve, leading physicians to now think you could have MVP syndrome but not even necessarily have the physical valve prolapse!

Hope someone may find the above useful?