Thread: Anyone successfully withdrawn off propranolol??

Anyone successfully withdrawn off propranolol??

Please, I really need some encouragement

Has anyone tried to withdraw and find it too hard?

Or has anyone successfully withdrawn?

Many thanks.

Re: Anyone successfully withdrawn off propranolol??

Hi Circle,
    I haven't used propranolol long term regularly, only for about a week on two occasions and a handful of separate one offs so I'm not sure how difficult it would be for someone who has been using it more consistently, but as someone who has needed to take it as and when I have found it no problem at all to stop using. My doctor prescribed it to get me through occasional blips and it worked a treat at calming my anxiety symptoms for long enough to get me back on track. I would chat to your doctor about the best way to come off the propranolol. The instructions are full of warnings about not stopping without medical advice and I think the only reason I was able to just stop altogether without much need for reducing dosage was because I was such a short term/ one off user. Best wishes. x

Quote Originally Posted by smileforawhile View Post
    Hi Circle,
    I haven't used propranolol long term regularly, only for about a week on two occasions and a handful of separate one offs so I'm not sure how difficult it would be for someone who has been using it more consistently, but as someone who has needed to take it as and when I have found it no problem at all to stop using. My doctor prescribed it to get me through occasional blips and it worked a treat at calming my anxiety symptoms for long enough to get me back on track. I would chat to your doctor about the best way to come off the propranolol. The instructions are full of warnings about not stopping without medical advice and I think the only reason I was able to just stop altogether without much need for reducing dosage was because I was such a short term/ one off user. Best wishes. x
    Thanks for responding.

I've been on it a year and the GP keeps trying to get me to come off it, but it hasn't happened yet. It's my crutch.

Ddi you manage to ween yourself down and off them yet, how long did you do each stage ? eg 2 to 1 and then half etc ?

AFAIK it should be quick to withdraw, it's not like they're addictive and there's no withdrawal syndrome like with anti-depressants.

Obviously follow your GP's advice on cessation.

This thread, especially last post, may be of interest.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=92577

Thread Information