Thread: NHS Choices - I didn't get one!

NHS Choices - I didn't get one!

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me with this...

2 years ago I was referred to a consultant because I needed a hysterectomy. My (then) gp did the full patient choices thing, so I was able to book my own consultation. My nearest private hospital happened to have the shortest waiting time so I booked there. I had no idea or expectation that the operation would happen there too, but luckily for me it did!

Now, I was referred to my consultant again in October. I received a phone call from a local nhs hospital offering me an appointment. The consultant said he wants to perform further surgery, and that the wait list was about 3 months. Today, I have received through the post a pre-op appointment, and admission appointment, at our big NHS hospital 12 miles away. My problem is, this place is filthy and I hate it and they always have to close wards every year because of norovirus and I am absolutely terrified of being sick or anyone near me being sick.

Sorry, straying from the point there My question is - can I go back to my gp and request patient choice? The operation has already been booked, is it too late? I thought we all had a right to choose, within reason (I understand that not all hospitals can perform all procedures) - I am under the mental health service because of my phobia (and other issues), do you think I would be taken seriously or just written off as a bit of a princess? The thought of being trapped in that vile, germ-ridden hell hole is enough to give me a breakdown, no exaggeration. I would be happy to go to the smaller (cleaner, safer) hospital where I had my consultation in October, I'm not demanding to go to the private one again.

Can I ask to be given a choice? Even though it's already booked?

Re: NHS Choices - I didn't get one!

Him not sure about your specific case or whether it's different but my wife is having a baby later this year and we were given the choice of 3 hospitals. I don't see why it should be different for operations providing the hospital can perform the function?

The only reason i can think of would be because of budgets so if you have to cross care trust boundaries they might not be too pleased to pickup the cost. Shouldn't make a difference really though as it all comes from the same place but I bet this is why it may happen.

I would speak with your GP

Re: NHS Choices - I didn't get one!

Thanks for your reply, and congratulations to you and your wife!

I'm worried that because I wasn't given a choice initially, it may be too late. We have quite a few hospitals in our trust area, the one I've been given would definitely be my last choice. For ANY procedure. I have said to my husband - if they're ok with me wearing a mask and gloves the whole time I'm there, and spraying everything with industrial grade bug killer, and no-one touches me (apart from during surgery of course) and I don't use the bathroom, and visitors (mine and everyone else's) can be sterilised before entry to the ward, and no children are allowed in, and I'm allowed to RUN LIKE HELL if anyone gets sick (even if just from anaesthetic, which is quite common) well, if they're ok with that then I guess I can compromise too.

Seriously, my fear is no joke. I have already told myself that I don't have to go (the letter only came a couple of hours ago) because that's the only way to stop myself completely losing it.

I will be seeing my gp as soon as possible.

Thread Information