Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beta blockers vs diazepam

Re: Beta blockers vs diazepam

It's all trial and error. The serotonin related drugs are most popular, with least sexual side effects. I've mever been on beta blockers.

I have panic attacks that valium has no effect on and I never liked it anyway.

Antidepressants normally take a few weeks before they start working. If you were in a bad way, your doctor probably wanted you to have something to help you before the prozac started to work. Hopefully once it does you will find your anxiety is not quite as bad.

Keep your doctor in the loop. If you're not managing once you run out of diazepam go back and tell him how you're doing.

I found diazepam more effective than beta blockers as my anxieties are around intrusive thoughts - I don't get palpitations or a racing heart very often. Even on 80mg slow release I generally just felt lethargic and it didn't touch the thoughts.

I find herbal sedatives effective - they're very mild compared with the benzos but they can take the edge of anxiety and don't come with tolerance/addiction like diazepam does. Try chamomile or valerian tea - you can also try valerian tablets if you need more of a calming effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Emphyrio View Post
    Try chamomile or valerian tea - you can also try valerian tablets if you need more of a calming effect.
    Do you feel Valerian tea/tablets have an effect on you? I was looking at these a few days ago but wasnt sure?

I actually think chamomile tea had more of an an effect than valerian tea/tablets to be honest.

They all seem to have a mild calming effect, not too noticeable but enough to take the edge off anxiety/agitation. They are good for sleep too but unlike sleeping pills they don't come with a drowsy effect the next day.

I'd definitely give chamomile tea a try - twinings seems like a good brand but you can get tesco own brand fairly cheaply too. Leave the bag in the cup and add some honey if you don't find the taste too appealing.

Valerian also seems to have a taste that a lot of people don't appreciate - it supposedly tastes like unwashed feet, though for some reason I really like the smell/taste. I'd drink it for that even if it had no effects on me. Dr Stuarts does a nice valerian tea blend. If you have any pet cats though keep the teabags away from them - it apparently has a similar effect on them to catnip!

Thanks for that info, will pick some up when I go shopping and have a try. No worry about cats here, its a doggie house so should be safe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information