Thread: Shortness of breath

Shortness of breath

Hey guys, since yesterday I've been quite stressed and anxious, also since yesterday I think I've got shortness of breath but not really sure. I had a rough night waking up so many times like if I can't breath and the 'sinking heart' feeling.

Woke up this morning straight away focusing on my breath and my throat feels tight from where the adams apple is.
    And it looks like my cough which took 6 months to get rid of is slowly coming back.

This is what I was like before I joined this forum, paranoid about my cough which wouldn't go, focusing on my breath every second of the day and thinking I've got shortness of breath. And taking heavy/deep breaths every few minutes.
    I don't actually know if I do have shortness of breathe or not. Would I be gasping for breaths? or taking quick breaths?

I got an exam in 2 days and I don't want to sit it in this state but I know from experience it won't take 2 days to feel 'normal' again
    Thanks.

Re: Shortness of breath

ohh ive been there and i had to sit a physics degree level exam. i got through it when i first strted with panic attacks 2 years ago. i was in a right state to start with but i remember as time went on and i was soo ingrossed by the questions, i managed to get through it.

i find the breathing thing hard all i can say is either try and sit the exam on another day and ask if this would be possible, possibly get a note from the doc to back this up OR if your at uni - extenuating circumstanes form and a note from your doc to back up. where ever and whatever the exam is for - theres normally always a chance to retake at another date. OR see how you feel and take it one step at a time, this worry with the exam will be making you feel worse, dont worry tooo much theres always a way around these things , if you are really struggling.

what exam is it for?

COLLETTE

Hi, I'm doing a accounting and finance exam in uni.
    I don't think this has been brought on by the exam, even though I'm feeling nervous about the exam, I don't think it's related BUT it's probably making it worse just thinking about it.
    My chest just feels a little weird like I need to cough but I don't and I can't get a decent breathe

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Does anyone else get these symptoms? it's kind of freaking me out.

Hi RVP, no same my panic attacks & symptoms were nothing to do with university, I graduated in 2007!
    I have since gone back to do a PGCE/SKE & after years of family pressure and crap - it was just bad timing that my first experience of panic/ anxiety, came whilst on this teacher training course 2010/11.
    But it is very uncomfortable and worrying feeling like this when youve got an exam coming up, weather or not, your usually worried about the examination itself, or not!

The breathing thing freaks me out and I have it in phases. I get where I feel like I can't take a deep breath & like I'm going to stop breathing and then I start to think ~ what if I just stop breathing????
    Very distressing, distraction is key

Good luck with your exam
    Last edited by Col; 07-01-13 at 21:05.

Yeah that's what happends to me, but if I worry and go to sleep, I will always most likely wake up panicking gasing for breathe, and I know this because when I'm not worrying I sleep perfectly fine.
    And thank you

Thread Information