Thread: Switched from Propranolol to Metroprolol Tartrate

Switched from Propranolol to Metroprolol Tartrate

Hello,

I was on Propranolol for anxiety but was getting very bad dry eyes as a side effect. The drug worked amazingly for my anxiety, but the side effect of the dry eyes has been getting intolerable and I believe the cause of some of my anxiety.

I've had anxiety (and some depression) for years now and have previously been on anti-depressants which I found didn't help me at all and gave me many intolerable side effects. (I think I'm just one of those people that gets lots of side effects from medications). It's such a shame about the propranolol because in many ways it worked so well. I'm worried that being on the propranolol and just living with the dry eyes might be the best I'm gonna get it.

My dr has given me another beta blocker to try- Metoprolol Tartrate, but I am hesitant because he said it might not work so well on the anxiety. Additionally, the list of side effects is much longer than the propranolol list. It looks more like an anti depressant side effect list.

Does anyone have any experience with dry eyes as a side effect of propranolol? Or taking Metoprolol tablets? Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Switched from Propranolol to Metroprolol Tartrate

I take a low dose propanolol three times a day and also bisoprolol once in the morning - between them they work wonders for certain aspects of my anxiety.
    However the propanolol do upset my tummy but I'm willing, as yet, to put up with that for the otherwise great results that I get when taking them.

It is a pity that your doctor could not have prescribed some drops for your eyes, if possible, so that you could have carried on taking them.

I really do know that I should do it but I now try my best to avoid reading the contra indications on a drug sheet as it causes me no end of problems with worry etc over taking the tablets - I'm not always the best of finding a balance when reading such things. Instead I ask my doctor if there is anything particular that I should look out for or avoid eating / drinking etc when taking them.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. Oh, I'd be more than willing to put up with the side effects of the Propranolol if they weren't that bad. But unfortunately they are pretty bad. Just out of interest how does the bisoprolol work for you? Is it different than the propranolol?

My anxiety got to the point of introducing a faster heartbeat and the odd ectopic beats. BP was often not too good as well. I went for several tests and the cardiologist suggested that my issues of anxiety could be addressed through counselling etc but the higher blood pressure with the use of Bisoprolol.
    It did not help when I bought myself a BP monitor (it is always high when I get my BP checked at the docs) as I then got quite stressed and a little ocd about constantly measuring and checking it.

Even though the cardiologist recommended the bisoprolol a couple of years ago it has only been since the middle of November that I started a low dose of 2.5mg and it really has been great. I have zero side effects from it - I seem to tolerate it much better than the propanolol. I know that this might sound silly but I have been adverse to taking medication long term but have now conceded that the anxiety issues were giving me physical problems that I was not managing too well.

After having issues (in the past) of withdrawing from diazepam and seroxat I did not want to start medication again.

The combination of bisoprolol (2.5mg) and a low dose (10mg) of propanolol have made such a tremendous positive difference with some of my physical symptoms. That has been useful to distract myself and try and concentrate on something other than what the symptoms were producing.

I do not know how much different bisoprolol is to propanolol but my GP recommended the 2.5mg dose for me with my slightly elevated BP.

Ah I see. That's pretty much the same as me. I didn't want to stay on medication long term as I didn't take too well to anti-depressants in the past with all the side effects and things, but I realised I needed something, at least to help with the physical anxiety. Beta blockers seems to do that as doesn't have nearly as bad side effects as anti-depressants. So if I have to stay on them long term I don't mind (as much). I just wish they didn't have any side effects at all.

I agree.
    I suppose it is all about balance and quality of life etc. The side effect issues I can completely agree with and it can be most frustrating to deal with that aspect of medication. I found the SSRI's, Anafranil etc etc etc yo have the most problematic side effects and, for me, the beta blockers to have the least and yet the better positive effect.
    I would be reluctant to talk with the doctor about my tummy issues, which are slight and manageable, when using propanolol as the positive effects are so good and useful.

What dosage were you taking with propanolol and did you not try something like the "artificial tears" drops that you can get to compensate for the problem you was having......?

Absolutely, I found beta blockers had a much better effect for me than anti-depressants anyway.

I've tried artificial tears! I use hypromellose which does help a lot, but not as much as I'd like.

I hope your stomach issues aren't too bad. You could try taking the tablets after food if you aren't already.

Thanks - I am hoping that the stomach issues settle but the positive effects of the beta blockers are so good that I am determined to continue their use.

It did surprise me just how little (hence my question on how much of the propanolol you were taking) of the beta blocker is needed for such a positive effect.

I do hope that you can find a working solution to your problem - my best wishes are with you.

Sorry, I overlooked your question there. I was on a sustained release of 160mg. But I agree, it works fantastically even on small doses.

Thanks for your help, and I wish you the best of luck too.

Thread Information