Thread: Sleeping problems

Sleeping problems

Hey all

I have major probs sleeping. I've tried everything - warm baths, milky drinks, reading, no tv, lavender, hypnotherapy cd's etc. Nothing works. I go for weeks and weeks with very very little sleep, sometimes not dropping off at all some nights, then I'll just totally crash for a weekend.

Tried herbal things - no effect. Had tabs from Dr, but had to take double usual dose (with his permission) and then still had disturbed sleep, plus really metallic taste in moutht eh next day.

Anyone tried anything else?

I never quite got round to writing a page on sleep for the website. This is as far as I got. Some of it may help.....

Sleep

How many times have you woken up in the morning and said “I didn’t sleep a wink last night”?

How many times have you struggled to get out of bed because you had such a restless night and feel as though you only managed a couple of hours sleep if any?

How many times have you gone to work and struggled through the day because you were so tired?

Most of us have been there at some time or another but for some the problem is recurrent and troublesome and affects our daily lives and ability to function well. You are certainly not alone.

I have had sleep problems for many years and talking to people in the Chat room and reading messages in the Message Forum it seems that I am most certainly not alone and there are many others like me. I decided to research the subject and here is my article that I hope will be of some help to you.

I am going to try and keep this information to the point and I am not going to bombard you with facts and figures about sleep as this can be found on any site that you search for on the topic of “sleep”.

I will try to provide you with some useful tips on how to get a good night’s sleep and explain what sorts of things can interrupt that sleep process.

Some interesting facts about sleep

• Sleeping pills should not be taken for more than 21 days and preferably on non-consecutive days

• Problems with sleeping are the second most frequently reported health problem – the first is a cold.

• It takes an average of one week to adjust to the summer/winter clock changes.

• Weight loss or gain can effect sleep patterns

• The rate of alcoholism amongst insomniacs is twice that of good sleepers.

• It is more common for adult women to have sleep problems than any other group of people.

• Don’t smoke just before going to bed – the average smoker sleeps 30 minutes less than a non-smoker.

• Early morning awakenings tend to be a symptom of depression. Sleep in depressed people is usually un-refreshing.

Why can’t we sleep?

Now that is the burning question! It is rarely due to a single cause but more to a set of circumstances that form a vicious circle we call insomnia.

The “causes” or reasons that we find we have difficulty sleeping vary from mildly irritating – a dog barking or a car going past in the street – to unexpected traumas, grief (e.g. bereavement) and most frustrating of all, free-floating anxiety of all kinds.

It can also be caused by medical illnesses, or various physical sleep disorders such as sleep apnoea. Psychological and emotional issues are other obvious causes. Lifestyle factors that disrupt sleep can be drugs, poor diet and even a snoring partner.

Maybe one of these sounds like you?

Anxiety insomnia – Where anxiety rules, manifested by general anxiety, tension and feeling on edge and by physical symptoms such as butterflies in the stomach, frequent diarrhoea, dry mouth etc.

Tension insomnia – Where stress and tension rule, manifested in an ability to relax, muscle ache, head-aches, finding it hard to let go.

Sleep-centred insomnia - Obsession with not sleeping well / enough and believing that you can’t cope, can’t concentrate, feel unwell, look awful, etc if you don’t get enough sleep.

Stimulus control insomnia – Being awake, watching TV in bed; falling asleep somewhere other than your bed (e.g. the living room) or sleeping better in a bed which isn’t yours.

Worry centred insomnia – Worrying about not being able to sleep, being unable to unwind, worrying about the day, the next day, the day after …

How much sleep do we need?

There is no definitive answer for this question as it varies between the sexes and ages but the average is around 7 hours. Some individuals can function on much less (4-5 hours) and some need slightly more (up to 9 hours).

A “good” sleeper will fall asleep quickly, and have serene, deep and uninterrupted sleep; they rarely snore; they wake up feeling refreshed, a

wow! Thanks Nicola! What a reply! That explains why tablets don't help then! Not tried Night Nurse though - maybe I'll give that a go!
    It tends to be that I can't switch off mainly. Although I often sleep better if I go down on the sofa or sleep somewhere different.
    Was interesting reading about the different kinds.

Thanks Nicola, that was very useful....I tend to sleep for a few hours then wake around 3am and just doze on and off after this. Its a real pain.

Coni X

I've pretty much got my panic under control now, come off the diazepam and been taking prozac for about 3/4 months. I still have the odd breathless moment and heart anxiety, but my sleeping pattern is all over the place. I can't get to sleep because of the kids (always the same in the school holidays - late nights and big lie-ins for them when I have to be up at 7.30am for work). Once I do get to sleep, the slightest thing wakes me up and I find it nearly impossible to get back to sleep again. I don't want to try meds or herbals becuse I don't want to feel groggy throughout the day when I'm at work. I can't remember the time when I slept all night. I might try some relaxation techniques and change my bedroom round a bit. At the moment its just a place to sleep, I want it to be a place where I enjoy the peace and quiet. If only.......

Les

Join the club. I used to have the same problems as yours. Can't sleep at all.... still awake at 5am and just fell asleep w/o me knowing and it was because of just sheer exhaustion. I talked to my neuro about it and he said I was just having panic, anxiety attack. He first gave me Rivotril 2mg took it once every day or what time of the day I feel anxious I just take it. I worked wonders for me. Although I'm not like most patients when given an anti-anxiety, sedative drug I don't feel sleepy or even fall asleep. I feel, relaxed, compitent and sure of myself and that gave me the confidence to sleep. I try to keep of the meds and only take it when I have a panic attack which rarely happens. All I think are happy thoughts like now, since my b-day is coming I'm waiting to get my new car. When I had nothing good to dream about I couldn't sleep so I just try to dream happy dreams.

Most of the time when you can't sleep it is your concious that's saying you can't sleep. I used to believe it was something neurotic but then if it is neurotic how come I fall asleep when I'm exhausted from being awake all night? Also, have a happy and healthy lifestyle. That helped me the most! I had soo much to do and too many to enjoy that I suddenly realized I didn't have any sleeping disorder at all. It was all in my mind.[^]

Thread Information