I have 3 healthy kids (1, 3 and 6)
    I have a well paid job.
    I have a house with half the mortgage paid off
    I have no other debt
    I have two holidays abroad per year
    I had a good upbringing with good parents who treated me well
    My parents are still here and healthy
    I have a good wife

So why do I feel tearful, depressed and slowed down most of the time. Struggling through every single day. Struggling to wake up in the morning, struggling to focus, struggling to sleep at night. Can anyone advise. I fear I may be heading for a fall.

Re: What Is My Problem?

Hi Jra, reads like you're not retaining enough seratonin and might benefit from a mild dose of SSRI. Welcome to the forum by the way, lots of nice folks here to chat with

Thanks WW, but I have been on seroxat for about 10 years. I don,t know why I suffer so. I do not have the complications you see with other depressed people, yet I have felt particularly low recently and really struggle to get up in the morning and push myself through the day.

My body is in a constant state of alert and I always feel on the edge of walking out of work and running for some kind of safety. I don't think the ssris are working anymore.

I see other motivated people and it makes me wonder why I am so out of tune with their wavelength.

Welcome to the site. I too have no reason to be depressed, but depression is an illness without reason. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

I can relate to this also, I have just read 2 books that helped me one was called the Happiness Trap and the other 'Depressive Illness The curse of the strong'

Thanks guys i feel a little relief already knowing there re others like me. I will look out those books Anne.

My big fear is that I will not withstand these feelings and fail to perform at work, losing my job and means of supporting the family.

Have you had any cognitive behaviour therapy? It may be helpful to you.

I can relate to this. Up until around 6 months ago life was good. I just got married last year to my lovely wife, financially comfortable, own house then I started to experience anxiety with no obvious triggers. I've started citalopram in October but not sure it's even working properly but increase dose a few weeks ago. Frustrating fighting an illness no one but you can see.

Welcome x Some people are just more prone to anxiety, depression, etc than others. It could be genetic, it could be your brain chemistry, it could be your personality....talk to your GP about how you feel, xxx

Hi Jra, and welcome.

Depression and anxiety are illnesses. Some people do get them due to stressful/painful situations, but other times they can strike for absolutely no apparent reason.

Antidepressants can stop working sometimes. It's worth going back to your doctor to ask about what would work best for you. It might be time to adjust the dose or try something else. Some GPs are really good at helping with depression/anxiety, others don't have the expertise and you may benefit from seeing a psychiatrist who knows about these medications and what might work well for your particular symptoms.

I hope you can get the help you need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information