Thread: Job hunting but bad sick leave due to anxiety?

Job hunting but bad sick leave due to anxiety?

Ok so the last year has rammed it home just how much I need to get out of my job and get a new one. Before my panic attack at work I had a very good sick history. I then had two days in May off due to the panic attack when on antidepressents and everything was ok. When I increased my dosage it made me really ill resulting in a regrettable month during October off sick. When we finally admitted that the anti-depressents were not working for me I started withdrawing from them. The sides effects of the withdrawal resulted in a 5 week sick absence over Christmas.

So basically I am looking at two months, 1 week and 2 days over 7 month with most of the damage being done in the last 4 months.

Is this too much to try to job hunt with?

Also can you keep the fact the absences were due to anxiety/depression secret? I would really prefer just to blame the absences on medication problems rather than out myself as a depressive!!

Re: Job hunting but bad sick leave due to anxiety?

I sought advice on this late last year from MIND & others, as I wanted to know the answers to similar questions. See my report on what I found out here:
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123479

Thank you that link was very useful. I had wondered why the part on application forms about sickness had disappeared but then I haven't been job hunting in 7 years!

Very useful information Elle-Kay

Things have certainly changed for the better in this respect.

I have been given some truly awful forms to fill in in the past asking for details of all illnesses, durations, referrals, medication and treatments given etc. In fact it used to put me off applying to some employers knowing how stringent their medical screening was.

I still think you could be dropped in it by a reference from a previous employer though, I don't think anything would stop them saying you suffered from a particular illness and saying you had time off with it. Anything controversial might well be done over the phone anyway so there would be no written record. Very few employers would take you on without some kind of nod from your last employer.

I didn't ask about references specifically, but presumably if you are protected from having to disclose personal medical information then your previous employer (as a third party) isn't allowed to disclose that information, at least without your consent, either?

I had a 6 week period of sick leave at my old job due to stress which brought on anxiety and my manager took it personally somehow. I think she would be petty enough to give me a poor reference (even without mentioning sick leave), so if I have to give the name of a referee from there now I give the name of one of my colleagues instead (one of the other line managers, but not my personal line manager).

Thread Information