Thread: Have you ever considered that your symptoms may be due to worms?

Have you ever considered that your symptoms may be due to worms?

I was reading up on worms/parasites it seems they an cause IBS like symptoms too.

I do get IBS, I know it because I often get instant tummy pain when I'm stressed out and my medication really helps.

But lately I've been feeling sick and getting tummy pains on and off, and was thinking perhaps it might be worms.

I don't know how common they are? I know when I was a kid my mum used to give me tablets to treat worms. I assume adults can get them too, maybe they only cause symptoms in some people?

I hear you can also catch them form your pets.
    I was always good at deworming my cat but I never knew I could catch them off her if she had them,

I guess there would be no harm in getting trying those tablets that get rid of worms. It'd be interesting too to see if it helps my symptoms!

I've never heard of anyone getting tested for worms, but I read there is a test but I assume the tablets I can get in the pharmacy should be good enough?

This is the symptoms list I found on a news article

Abdominal pain
    Diarrhea
    Nausea or vomiting
    Gas or bloating
    Dysentery (loose stools containing blood and mucus)
    Rash or itching around the rectum or vulva
    Stomach pain or tenderness
    Feeling tired
    Weight loss
    Passing a worm in your stool

I read too they can cause you to feel very tired and even dizzy.
    Some times people are miss diagnosed with IBS or things like chronic fatigue,

I find it strange that something so simple, that can cause all these symptoms and is easily curable isn't talked about more and doctors don't seem to even consider worms as a possibility in adults.

Re: Have you ever considered that your symptoms may be due to worms?

As of recently, I've developed a fear of those things. lol Ironic you mention them! I think usually you will see them in your bowel movements, but of course I'm sure sometimes not. If you are concerned I would mention it to your doctor and see if they want to pursue it.

Yukky post - sorry!

I had them when I was a kid and was scared to tell my parents for a while (I was too young to know what was 'normal' if that makes sense? I had never been told about them) and eventually they were very obvious in my stools.

Early on they may not be (?)

Anyway, last year when my bowels were further investigated the doctor he asked me if the itching was mainly at night (he said that's when they lay their eggs).

He said in the morning if you put some sellotape (clear sticky tape - I am not sure what that's called in other countries) on your bottom you should see the eggs on the tape.

He also said if you're not sure then it is not harmful to buy the tablets from the doctor and try them.

Hope that helps a bit

I had a camera up the bottom in the end. They didn't find anything so it's just IBS for me. But as I was getting blood having the camera reassured me.

Hope that helps

i will try the tape thing.
    I did have an itchy bum once but i also had a yeast infection so figured it may have just been that.
    interesting that the itching should happen at night time.
    Not tried the tablets yet, but it's interesting that worms can cause a lot of trouble tummy wise.

try www.blessedherbs.com they do a bowel detox and parasite detox very good buy the way i am not a docto,r my ibs eased alot after i done a bowel detox in march i will do a bowel and parasite cleanse if in dought ask the doc about doing a detox take care steve

I had threadworm at one point. As far as i'm aware of they don't cause any stomach upsets. Aside from the itchy bottom a wriggling/writhing sensation in the bowels/intestines can be another symptom of worms and of course, seeing them after passing stool. So long as your pets are dewormed often i don't see much of a problem :3

Thread Information