Thread: High Heart Rate

High Heart Rate

Hi, I was doing so well with my anxiety until today. I started an 8 week diet / fitness programme this week to lose some weight and get fit. I was at a bootcamp session this morning and my heart rate went up to 198 beats per minute (should never have bought the heart rate monitor lol) after looking it up on line I am really worried and now i'm in a total panic. I have tried to contact my instructor but he is not answering his phone. I dont know what to do. Can anyone help keep me calm or do I really have a heart problem? I am 34 years old so my maximun rate should be 220 - 34 = 186 bpm.

Thanks guys, Donna

Re: High Heart Rate

I wouldnt panic too much. When is the next time you are doing a fitness session? Is it with the instructor? If so, just talk to him then.

Are you generally fit or unfit?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for your reply. I'm generally unfit which I why I wanted to do this 8 week programme. I'm next training on Tuesday so I will speak to him then. Apologies I just had a major panic but i've calmed down down.

Hi Donna that's not really that high. The calculation is just an estimate. I like to think of myself as fit and used to go to the gym 6 days a week before my anxiety kicked in 7 months ago. I've started going back and get my heart rate over 190bpm after exercise and resting its between 50-60. I have spoke to my doctor who just said what do you expect it to do when your exercising! Good point!

I freaked me out the first time it happened and took me a few hours and some diazepam to bring it down but I can see now that it was just my anxiety keeping it high. It was also high during exercise as this was the first time back to the gym for a few months so I was anxious mid training.

Do you know the best way to avoid this, don't check! I won't be checking again!

Thanks for making me feel much better. Thats what I done, took a diazapam to try and calm me down. Trying to change my life but anxiety is never too far away.

And thats the problem with the internet. So where you probably read that your maximum rate should be 220 - 34 = 186 bpm, it forgets to mention that "but it could be higher if you've not exercised in ages". These little sentences that the authors forget to put in, can make a massive difference. Its lazy and thoughtless.

Thread Information