Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media at it again!!

Media at it again!!

Just been hearing on the Radio that the dreaded 'noro' is expected to surge in numbers again. They're saying it's because people are back at work ... surely this surge would have started last week. Has anyone else noticed a surge in their area? (I've only just started listening to the radio again because I just didn't want to listen to all the earlier reports over Christmas / New Year)

Re: Media at it again!!

c'mon grape.... you wanna be turning the radio off when they start on like this. there's just no point in feeding your fear. all it'll do is make you feel worse.

Remind yourself about focusing away from the issue...... just dont bother with the media in these instances. Its probably just a load of hype.

You can have the radio on since you dont want to deny yourself something enjoyable, but dont listen to the news. Its pointless, really it is.

Also, it occurs to me that you hearing this kind of thing on the radio or reading it in a paper is not going to influence at all whether you, I or any other person gets the virus. What will influence you getting it is stress & worry. So.... let's take the simple route here & find nicer things to be doing than worrying our lives away.

here's a hug of encoouragement to see you along the way

Yes, Tessar, you are entirely right ! I was waiting for an interview with a local person .. it wasn't even the news .. but they must have been doing a run through the newspapers first. I did turn it off and found something else to occupy me .. can't say it was particularly nice as it was a pile of ironing ! .. and put on a C.D. Thanks for your support and encouragement .. and I am feeling much better with all the help on here.

Hi Grape, I agree with Tessar- Worrying about this is certainly not going to help any. As we've all discussed on here already the news and media blow this virus way out of proportion and it's just simply not realistic at all. Not to mention it's boring...I was reading the local paper the other day and on about 3 different pages there was mention of it-I seriously wanted to write a readers letter about how boring I found this constant, pointless reporting on Norovirus- didn't bother in the end, as I figured they wouldn't print it. In all seriousness, please don't stress yourself over this-it's just not worth it. The likelihood of catching this virus is actually not as big as it may seem. Just look after yourself and you'll be fine. It's not as easy to catch as people make out and there's just so much more to life. Plus, we're half-way through January now and come March we'll be in Spring-you'll notice the cases will drop and the hype will calm right down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape View Post
    Yes, Tessar, you are entirely right ! I was waiting for an interview with a local person .. it wasn't even the news .. but they must have been doing a run through the newspapers first. I did turn it off and found something else to occupy me .. can't say it was particularly nice as it was a pile of ironing ! .. and put on a C.D. Thanks for your support and encouragement .. and I am feeling much better with all the help on here.
    It does feel irritating sometimes, it's all about timing, those darn radio people timed it just wrong for you! Ironing eh, u r 2 b congratulated on doing a chore!

Thanks Iced Diamond ... you are so right and I just had a 'blip' this morning! Everyone, especially you and Tessar, have been so helpful on here and I really appreciate that. Feeling so much more positive now and yes .. as you say.. middle of Jan, lighter at tea time and not far off Spring! Thank You !

They do go on and about it, don't they? I guess it's good that they don't have anything really serious to report...

I have to say, though - if the constant media coverage means that more people will realise what they need to do if they do get it (as in, NOT go out infecting anyone else) I can put up with it. I discovered the other day that my husband - who is married to an emetophobic lunatic - didn't know that a person with noro continues to be contagious for up to 48 hours after ALL symptoms have gone. That is, if you are sick on day one, then get diarrhea the next day, you should count the 48 hours from when the d stops (even if it goes on for days), not from the time you were actually sick. I explained very thoroughly - his mum was poorly on Friday and said 'I won't be going anywhere for 48 hours'... good effort mum, but that 48 hours doesn't start til you're all better. I know most people can't afford to stay home for this long, but - by following these guidelines properly, the overall number of sick-days will be reduced because less people will catch the thing. We will never get rid of this bug while only emets take the proper steps to stop the spread...

What makes me laugh, is that now, the papers are all going on about snow!!! Snow has now replaced the Norovirus! If you come into my work kitchen every morning, you won't need to buy a newspaper! It's all gossip, gossip, gossip-last week it was still the dreaded tummy bug and today it's been all: snow, snow, snow...so that's how fast things can get replaced! The less we hear about it, the less we'll worry. I don't know if I'm just rambling on now or if this might be food for thought. When I was a child I was very happy and health anxiety would have been a word I didn't understand at all. Now, all these viruses would have been about then too and as a child I would have been far less hygienic than I am now and even then I don't ever remember having Noro! Ignorance is really bliss in some cases.

So true, Iced diamond - what we don't know and all that...

Hi, I hope I can ease your anxiety a bit. I am an emetphobe and in the past 6 years I've had norovirus 3 times (twice lab confirmed). All 3 times I was never sick. I had all the other symptoms. I think people like to only talk about the worse case scenario but it doesn't always have to be so horrific. Yes it was still unpleasant but I coped. Hope that helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information