Thread: Just been to A and E

Just been to A and E

Hi guys. Bit of background first!
    Am 28, great level of fitness, good weight, eat very healthy, don't touch alcohol, caffeine, drugs etc. Sleep well. Am back on 20mg of Citalopram for anxiety disorder which has been with me since I was 6. It's been well under control, so much so, that I slowly took myself off the tablets back in October. Things got progressively worse however and my main symptom I was feeling was very strong heart palps and fluttery ectopic. Infact, I just had one as I typed the word ectopic!
    Been getting them a few times a day but today was the worst. Having flutter after flutter after flutter. This got me very worried so I thought as I'm local to a very large hospital with A and E department, I popped down there.
    Very scary!! Got triaged, had my blood pressure, pulse done. All fine. Slow pulse of 56bpm. BP was a bit on the high side but I assumed that as I was in hospital.

Sods law is that as soon as my name was called, despite being more nervous than anything, I had no flutter ectopic palpation. Had an ECG and that was all normal. Blood tests came back fine, although I expected that as the bloods they are are called Treponin which is a marker of whether or not someone has had a heart attack.

Walking back home then I experienced more flutters, got home and experienced more. I was told to see my GP and arrange to get a 24 hour heart moniter.

They are really scary, probably more so that anxiety as its heart related, but they appear to be perfectly normal. So if anyone does decide to do what I did, this is more than likely going to be the outcome. Obviously if you experience chest pain and dizzyness with it then go immediately, but otherwise it's probably anxiety related.

So i'm back home in the same condition as I left in, except I now have a bruise on my arm where my bloods were taken.

Re: Just been to A and E

Hi steveo, been there!

3 trips to A & E for me only to be told each time it's anxiety. After 7 months of numerous tests and hospital visits I've accepted my heart is fine at last and the symptoms have reduced significantly. Not a coincidence I think!

Glad you are ok.

Do you (did you) experience the fluttering heart Arnie? The pounding heart all over my body I can just about deal with but those flutters are scary and getting more and more frequent.

Hi Steveo,

I have had very similar experiences to you and have many worries over my heart. I also used to have a high fitness level untill I stopped working out due to such bad anxiety.

I get the heart flutters every day and they are scary, its like your heart is hardly pumping or is struggling to keeping beating. Somehow I think we have to stop analysing these feelings and sensations and gradually they will go away, although I haven't worked out how to do that yet.

I can't sleep to lie down in my bed now without getting them REALLY bad. Just had a very long flutter. My pulse was all over the place.
    When do heart palpations get diagnosed with AF?

No mine was more stabbing pains in my heart or a pressure/squeezing in the middle. First probably caused by trapped wind and the latter indigestion. Took me months to work this out though.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I can't sleep to lie down in my bed now without getting them REALLY bad. Just had a very long flutter. My pulse was all over the place.
    When do heart palpations get diagnosed with AF?
    i had really similar symptoms, many skipped beats in a row, irregular pulse. bloods normal, & they wouldnt play ball for the dr or ecg. had them for a couple of weeks out of nowhere, then gone for a week. then came back on sunday for the whole morning... quite frequent and lasting 5mins or so each time. and none since. very weird. ive been referred to a cardiologist for an echocardiogram... i will go when im called in but have decided not to worry about them for now.

background... am 42yo female, healthy, low to moderate fitness, dont drink, smoke, no drugs etc, dont like coffee. no other issues... just weird. they were worst laying in bed or resting on the couch.

Thread Information