Thread: Severe arachnophobia

Severe arachnophobia

I've been scared of arachnids for as long as I can remember, to the point where it's really affecting my life, but I need a way to get over it for my kids. I can't watch films/tv where they appear and even pictures/extended conversations about them can reduce me to panic attacks. I've never even been able to google any solutions in case pictures come up. There's nowhere around me that does phobia therapy and I'm not sure what else I can do.

Re: Severe arachnophobia

If it is that bad a problem couldn't you talk to your GP? I know that not every doctor would take you seriously but maybe they could offer you advice. Sorry I couldn't be of more help I am scared of them too but not as much.

Hi there.

I doubt that I'm anywhere near you and so this isn't a sales pitch...

I'm a hypno-psychotherapist and have dealt with a few arachnophobes. I can tell you that I've seen people who would vomit as soon as they saw a large house spider. I have them pick up a big spider in a jar (session 1) and after session 2 they're sending me pictures of them catching spiders, at home, without a problem.

My point is that a decent hypnotherapist can help and there's bound to be one near you somewhere.

I began training after I had hypnotherapy for smoking. I was a complete sceptic and only tried it because I had tried everything else. It worked like a charm. I went along prepared to give it a go...

So, it's something for you to think about.

Best wishes

Paul

i'm scared of spiders, and have been since a child... like you, i felt i had to get a handle on it once i became a mum, but didn't know how, so for years i continued to stand on chairs yelling for someone to remove the thing off the floor etc... i was so freaked by them that i'd even remain nervous after they'd been disposed off, and would keep looking at where they had been...

then i got a spider catcher.. a plastic box contraption with a long handle.. you can trap the spider (or whatever insect) in the box without putting your hands anywhere near.. and it's been brilliant for me. i think it's even calmed me overall, as knowing i have something to use, i no longer freak to any great extent.. i just deal with the offender.

Thread Information