Thread: frustrated and sad :(

frustrated and sad :(

hi,
    I'm having a pity party does anyone want to come?
    It started when I went to a meeting for work (I just started working at Iceland foods only 16hrs)
    Anyway if you go to Iceland there's a thing you can do that a customer can give feedback online, if they thought your customer service was good. So I think about everyone else has one but not me. I know this sounds so petty lol I just feel like what the managers will be thinking oh she mustn't be very good and I'm sad that I don't seem to make a good impression on people. Maybe it's just that other people always point out the website on the back and ask the customer to leave feedback which I dont always do admittedly. It feels kind of false to me, like if I really did leave that good of an impression I wouldn't have to ask.
    Anyway so I was feeling pretty down about that and the review I've got coming up is worrying. But then I came home to an e-mail off a guy from a dating site I've been on a while. And his last paragraph was talking about a job offer he'd got and then he asked 'so do you look for other jobs or are you happy where you are at the moment?'
    I just feel like crap, because my job is so rubbish I couldn't possibly want to stay working on the checkouts at Iceland!
    Well what I haven't told him is that the fact that I am working 16hours a week away from my home is a massive achievement for me, because last year being out of my house for an hour was too hard.
    And you know what if I want to work in a shop for the rest of my life then I will how dare someone judge people because of the job they do like they aren't as good as someone else with a 'better job'
    So inside I'm seething but I'll probably just skirt around it because otherwise I like talking to him and I don't want to admit to him how much it hurts

Re: frustrated and sad :(

Sending you hugs.

I think a lot of customers probably don't bother to read the back of their receipt. They probably just check the prices then throw it away. So if your colleagues mention the feedback website but you don't, that's probably why you don't have any feedback yet. Maybe you could try mentioning the survey to customers for a day or so and see if you do get any feedback?

There's nothing wrong with working in a shop. It is an important job - everyone needs to buy food to eat! People shouldn't judge you for it. Retail can be a good career - in years to come you might have the opportunity to become a supervisor or even a store manager. But if you are happy working on the checkouts, than that is fine and you shouldn't let anyone make you feel bad about it.

Vicky, you are doing so well, so don't put yourself down. Be thankful that you have a job and I agree, not many people read everything on a receipt. Not all shoppers have internet access, either, or know how to get online.

thanks guys I love how when I need some encouragment I know I'll get some here
    X

Hi Vicky

Can relate to your story...please dont feel bad. I am a manager for a high street store and we also give out the customer surverys...the best way you will get a comment is to point it out to a customer you interact well with...they will remember to do it then. The key is if you do it to most customers you are bound to get one back. Its just part of the job and the whole retail thing.

I think you have done extremely well from where you were...and you should be proud of yourself!!

Retail is tough and very important...you are on the front line to the customer day in day out. I started off where you are and worked my way up...I now find my role very rewarding.

Dont be hard on yourself cos you have done really well. Try to be positive and enjoy what you do.

Good luck...it will get better.

Jo.x

thanks Jo it's really sweet of you to take the time to reply thank you!
    I'm definitley feeling a lot more positive today and when I went into work the day after I wrote this post I made a deal with myself to point the website out to people so I'm hoping when I go in there'll be a 'wow' waiting for me
    X

Hugs Vicky xxx EJ

Thread Information