Thread: Whey protein and Citalopram?

Whey protein and Citalopram?

Hi Folks,

As a vegetarian of about 5 and a half years, and an avid runner/cycler, I have recently thought of upping my protein intake because I am a bit concerned I am not getting enough in my diet. So I bought some whey protein powder to supplement my protein intake when I noticed it has naturally occurring tryptophan in it (314 mg for what its worth..)

Now I am on 10mg of citalopram and I am aware that tryptans are to be avoided because of potentially adverse side effects, but I also know that tryptophan naturally occurs on all proteins. There is no added tryptophn in the mix, and having taken it on a few occasions before getting around to reading the label (whoops) I havent noticed anything wrong really. Does anyone have experience with this or have spoken to their GP about this? Any insight would be really great.

Thanks!

David

Re: Whey protein and Citalopram?

Hello all!

For anyone interested, I Just had an annual appointment with my GP yesterday, decided to ask him my question. he said that there should be no problem with taking whey, especially as I am not recently starting any new medications.

Re: Whey protein and Citalopram?

Hey,

Didn't see your thread before otherwise I would have replied but I would say the same as your doctor. I take Whey Protein while on anti depressants and have never had a problem. I see no reason why there would be any issues as Whey protein is just a food source after all.

Thread Information