Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My modelling hobby

My modelling hobby

Above is a scrapwagon I scratchbuilt, based on photos of the real examples.
    The term 'Scatchbuilt' means something thats designed & made from scratch, so quite different & very unique compared to building a kit.

This & other models I've made are'nt readily available in kit-form, so I decided to build what I need for my scrapyard modelling venture that I intend will go to model railway exhibitions.

One of the scrapwagons I made I sent off to a chap who specializes in adding rust effects & making the paint actually peel & flake, here's the result below;

My crane poseing next to one of the 'Sheerness Steel' scrapwagons I also scratchbuilt based on photo's I purchased from Paul Bartlett's website of real examples.

My grappler crane model posing in action with its claws around an old Lesney diecast mercedes, many old Lesney & Husky diecast cars are perfectly suited to 1:76 scale (AKA 'OO scale')

Below is my model in its separate parts before assembling together (push fit), reason being; its easier to paint various componants on their own, & if any part gets damaged or broken its more easy to replace &/or repair.

The crane I built before I applied spray paint,
    Next to it is a 1:76 scale diecast model of a similar vehicle that helped base my scratchbuilt model upon.

Heres the workbench I designed & built myself for my modelling

The real crane that I based my model upon

Below is one of my Lima class 47's that I've modified to look in 'stored sevicable' condition awaiting its fate, I've still the chassis to modify between the bogies.

I've modified whats known as the 'Serck shutters' , these are the ventilation flaps behind one cab end each side of the roof fans.
    The 'ready to run' versions of the class 47 from Hornby, Lima, Heljan & bachman all have this area moulded with the flaps in a closed position, so I thought I woud add some specific detail tha I consider essential, as, whenever seeing photo's or in real the Serck shutter flaps are often in the open position, especially on hot summer days.
    Last edited by xdavex; 16-01-13 at 15:07. Reason: Additional info
    Having suspected aspergers , I may sometimes 'appear' to be either abrupt with my posts OR the way I explain things may come across as confusing, so feel free to PM me asking me clarify any of my imput.

Re: My modelling hobby

These are very good I used to help my Dad built model boats when I was a young girl. We sailed for a while at a local lake.

Outstanding

Thanks for the kind feedbacks
    Here's a my project on modifying a Lima class 47; I'll split this into 2 separate posts as shows step-by-step 'shows you how' which may inspire people to do similar;

All 4 area's of original moulded Serck shutters detail were carefully removed with a modelling knife, the moulded detail of the roof fans & grills removed also.

I removed moulded detail of fans & grills with a 13mm drill.

I removed the clear plastic windows componant from the cab, then I gently applied a razor saw as to remove one half.

I removed the windscreen componant & carefully appliied a razor saw to one half
    One of the cab windscreens is now missing, as seen in various images of class 47's in whats known as "stored servicable, or stripped for spares & awaiting disposal"

Above; looking down the bodyside of a real diesel locomotive, the sheet metal bodysides rarely appear 100% flat, the flat area have subtle contours that is caused by the heat from the engine, the heat from weather changes, & the accuracy of how the sheet metal is riveted/bolted or welded to the main bulkheads & other internal structural framework.
    Melting the plastic can be done in different ways, a gentle flame applied for 3 seconds to innerside body, or a solvent such as liquid poly rubbed in as to melt composition of plastic. Its advizable to wear a mask in either method.
    Also you see the chassis is attached in this photo, the area in the centre of the undeside was modified, basically I needed to cut some out at the area between battery boxes.

Using fine nosed pliers, I gently heated the lowermost bodyside just enough to make the styrene soft & pliable as to represent body corrosion. Dont assume that the effect of corrosion was rusty, as various body panels on a class 47 were an alloy composition which corrodes in a different way to sheet steel / iron

I "distressed" the bodysides even more, this photo was taken before I removed the moulded area of serck shutters.
    To be continued / concluded next post

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Continued from my post above;

Replacement fan grills made from etched brass were carefully superglued on, the slow set superglue was best applied by making a small "pool" of superglue on a disposable non porous surface & dabbing from this using a tiny piece of styrene strip or similar.

The original moulded grab rails at the front of cab were removed & size #25 staples were an ideal possible replacement, very fine brass wire was used for the cross rail below windscreen.

The strene body moulded cab door grab rails were removed & size #26/6 staples were an ideal near perfect replacement 8)

Stored locomotives or anything else thats has stood for a long period of time will have moss accumilate on the windscreens & body panel area's where dirt & moisture can collect, if near trees or other green vegetation moss can accumilate quite quickly.
    For the moss I lightly sprinkled Tamiya green weathering powder over the body, as for the windscreen area's I first applied a tiny ammount of PVA & speaded this thinly as for the weathering powder to settle upon without wetting the powder.

Somewhere on the internet there is a photo of the real class 47; 47478 seen stored in a siding awaiting its fate in this condition, as I've based my model upon.
    Having suspected aspergers , I may sometimes 'appear' to be either abrupt with my posts OR the way I explain things may come across as confusing, so feel free to PM me asking me clarify any of my imput.

I can't see any photos or links in this post! Is there something wrong with my computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    I can't see any photos or links in this post! Is there something wrong with my computer?
    Hi Rain, Somtimes the images are slow to load on the page, try to 'refresh' the page if they fail to appear.

Photo's are visible to me , but occasionally the host site that my photo links are posted from (PhotoBucket) is down for maintenance, when this occurs photo's are not visible to anyone for a few hours.

Can you see anyones photo's elsewhere within a similar thread/topic on this forum ?

I can see them now. Fantastic models. What a great hobby!

Okay thanks Rain, glad its sorted (-:
    here's how I fitted those all important 'Serck shutters' to my class 47;
    ^ continued from above,

I highly recomend this modelling tool to any model maker; "The Chopper" a chopping tool made by NWSL. This makes the cutting to size of duplicate lengths of styrene really easy & time saving. I dont cut any styrene thats thicker than 3mm as there's a risk of blade & chop handle strain & the blade blunting quicker.

Styrene strips 1.5mm x 1.5mm were added for depth for the shutters assembly to be mounted.

I used Evergreen #115 styrene strip , each strip being 0.4mm x 2.5mm . 2 sizes of length were cut; 7 of 22mm & 7 of 23mm , so 14 fins applied to each backing plate.

2 sets of fins now complete, whilst the plastic weld sets fins firmly, another backing plate is cut to size ready & fins added for doing the same to my other lima class 47.

The 4 sets of Serck shutters now in place, shutter fins here in fully open position as seen on real class 47s on hot summer days. Sometimes some of the shutter fins would fail to open, be uneven from other fins, fins bent or out of place.

Have you "scratchbuilt " all these models. If you have your amazing! Serious talent. Can not believe your skill. Wow!

Really impressed with these models, well done!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information