Thread: No motivation on sertraline

No motivation on sertraline

Hi guys I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some reassurance . I've been omn sertraline for 3 and a half weeks now, ( for PND). My general symptoms are alot better, and I seem to of got through the worst of the sides effects of starting a new drug but I just generally have no motivation what soever. This is really worrying me as I run my own business but I just have no interest in it at all at the moment. The doc has told me to give the drug 6 weeks before I decide if its working or not but I'm normally quite motivated so this is bothering me. I know that if after 6 weeks I'm no better I'll have the hassle of switching meds of uping my dose which could lead to further side effects etc , all the time while my business is suffering. Any help greatfully received

Re: No motivation on sertraline

Hi Blue

I have been on sertraline(25mg) for 6 weeks and i can say that some days will be better than others. I would say its worth it to stick with it. For me when i wasn't getting the side effects i felt great. This is coming from a person who is really sensitive to medication. I couldn't even handle ibuprofen on the smallest dose. Good luck on your decision to stick with it or not.

Hi Blue,

I'm in the exact same situation as you with my own business AND the Sertraline. I honestly don't know whether it's having any effect on me at all. My mood is lower than ever and I find it difficult to concentrate.

I've been on Sertraline 50mg for five weeks and I recently upped the dose to 100mg. I did have some mild side effects again like insomnia but they've abated pretty quickly. Still, I really don't feel like it's doing anything for my mood and i find it very difficult to get on with work.

I'm going to try and hang in there with it but it's difficult because like you I don't want to switch meds and feel like all this time was wasted. I'm seeing my doctor this morning and will discuss the options with him.

I hope you're feeling better and I really hope Sertraline works for you.

I agree with most posters about lack of motivation and low mood. I have been on 100mg for six weeks and was prescribed the drug for anxiety. My anxiety has certainly lessened as has my hypomania, but my mood is lower than I can ever remember and I lack motivation - often to even get out of bed in the morning. I hoped this would even out by now but am going to docs Monday to discuss.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies, sorry for my late response, i've not been om here for a while. I'm at my wits end. I have now been on sertraline for 6 weeks and for the last 2 days have had severe nausea and diarrhea resulting in a 5 pound weight loss ( at least theirs a silver lining, lol). However I saw my doc yesterday who tried to convince me i could have gastroenteritis yet I am sure its these tablets. I just can't seem to see a way out of my situation at all at the moment and its really getting me down. I 'm considering coming of sertraline full stop as I have read so mamy bad reviews about it but then I have to deal with the side effects from that and where to go from there. I just don't feel like some doctors even listen to you sometimes. I told my doc I was better on fluexotine ( apart from the panic attacks for the first 2 weeks which were awful) and she said do you want to go back on that instead?! She clearly has never had a panic attack. I feel so alone and can't see a way out. I 'm sure that if i come of meds all together I'll end up back where I was and without months of trial and error on different tablets I can't see that I will find one that helps . I just can't help thinking how are they actually making me better. They all seem to have such awful side effects. My depression has lifted in some ways after 6 weeks on 50mg but physically i feel terrible , I've also noticed aching joints and alot of hair loss. Still have low motivation and I can't help think how much better I did feel than this on fluexotine. I really don't know what to do. I'm hoping someone out there can offer some help/advise?
    How are you guys all doing on sertraline now? How long do you give it before deciding its not for you?

Hi Blue,

Thanks for the update. All I can do is share my experience with Sertraline. It wasn't working for me at 50mg - I was extremely anxious in the mornings - so as a last ditch attempt we increasesed it to 100mg. It's only been two weeks but I already feel like I'm getting back to normal and my mood is slowly improving.

I feel your pain, I really do. And I was pretty aprehensive about increasing the dose to 100mg and going through the initial drowsiness again but... Either it's working for me or I'm learning to deal with my depression/anxiety better.

I would suggest you try increasing the dose for a couple of weeks at least.

Good luck mate! * hug *

Hi Blue,

Firstly, I feel the lack of motivation effect from this drug. This does get better with time. However, after about 6 weeks I also got incredible stomach pain and diarrhea about 3 - 4 times a day. Therefore I would definetely say your diarrhea is due to the drug. Doctors sometimes try to convince us patients it is not the drug in case we suddenly come off it - which can be a lot worse. I am still suffering diarrhea after 2 Weeks so am returning to my docs first thing Monday morning. I hope yours passes quicker!

Ha , no mine has been terrible , more like 20 times a day initially , I felt like I d been poisoned . Doc has told me to go on tablets every other day to see if that gets rid of the diarrhoea then go back up to one a day . If the diarhhea returns we know it's the tablets . If that happens I think I will have to go back on fluexotine and see if they can give me something for the initial panic attacks . How long have u been in the drug for now ?

Thread Information