Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling alone

Travelling alone

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I am travelling to Nottingham this Saturday (from Durham) on the train. I went to Leeds a few weeks ago on the train but was with my boyfriend and a mate. This time, I'll be going alone - yikes!! I'm not too keen on trains since I've been having panic attacks and I HATE being alone, especially when surrounded by people I don't know. I'm going to Nottingham to meet up with some old mates from school who I haven't seen in almost five years. I'm already nervous about that as only one of them knows about my panic attacks and I'm just hoping that all will go well and that we'll all get along just as we used to. I wouldn't mind as much if it were a direct train but I have to change on the way there and on the way back and I'm dreading it.
    Any support would be well appreciated...

Sarah (seh1980)

hi sarah,
    i'm sure you'll be fine. i was wondering do you like reading? maybe you could take a good book with you and immerse yourself in it while you're on the train. maybe take a bottle of water with you with a few drops of rescue remedy in and some lavender oil just to make sure.
    as for your friends, if one of them knows then you have some back up, tell her you will tip her the wink if you have a problem.
    i'm sure that you will have that much of a good time seeing all your old friends that you wont think too much about your panic attacks

xxx grace

Hiya Sarah

Just wanted to say good luck for saturday!!!

Dont forget your 'panic pack'...lol (rescue remedy,water,maybe headphones with a relaxation CD, a book or puzzle book etc).

When I saw you in chat the other night I said I was going to try a solo train journey this week aswell. Well I havent done it yet but now you have posted this im definately going to give it a go!!! (ugh..lol)

Im sure you will be fine but if you get the jitters just remember to keep telling yourself that its just anxiety and it wont hurt you and there is always someone around to help if you need it!!!!

take care
    love Sarah
    xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution

Hi Sarah,

My advice would be listen to a personal stereo try to loose yourself in the music.

Buy a couple of magazines that you like.

Take something nice to eat or whatever you fancy or something that you don't have all the time i.e a bar of chocolate or some pick & mix sweets etc... LOL. Make the journey more of a treat then a chore as to make the train journey as comfortable as poss.

Look out the windows at the scenery and watch the world go by. If you feel clostraphobic sit at the back near to the door.

All the time keep telling yourself how well you are doing and think mind over matter and that you can do it!

Expect to feel anxious! You are bound to and that is pefectly normal! I'm sure a non anxiety sufferer would feel anxious travelling alone and then meeting up with friends they haven't seen for ages! So you are even stronger to do this!

Try to think of it as excitement adranlin not anxiety adranalin if that makes sense?

Take some rescue remedy with you (if you use it)

I know how difficult it is! I go through exactly the same thing. It really doesn't come easy for us does it! We always have to put in that bit more effort don't we! It doesn't seem fair. Just remember though we must be stronger by having to make that much more effort!

At least one person knows about your P/A so your not to alone! You never know you might be so busy catching up with people you forget about it for a while! Or someone else them selves might suffer you never know? It seems to be quite popular unfortunately!LOL

I wish you the best of luck Sarah. I will be thinking of you. Let us know how you go! Even if you don't manage to do it at least you thought about it and tried that counts as well!

Sorry for waffaling. I hope this helps?

Take care

Love PIP'S XX

Hi Grace, Sarah and Pips,

Thank you all for your advice. Yes, I will make sure I take a bottle of water, a book, CDs and good snacks with me. I'm sure that it's more the worrying about it that's getting to me and that once I'm on the train I'll be fine. Your support has definetly made me feel much better about it!! Thanks a lot.

Sarah (seh1980) xxx

hey sarah,,

i am so sure you will be fine.,,
    you are so strong not letting the panic/anxiety dictate your life like i did,,

good luck with your journey,,
    are you staying overnite???

good 1 enjoy yourself hey and if you do feel the panic coming on just think of all us lot from the site lol always cheers me up,,

TAKE CARE MATE

""HAPPINESS IS ALWAYS THERE UNDERNEATH THE ANGER AND DESPAIR""

xxxxdarrenxxxx

Thanks for your support Darren!! Yes, I'm staying there overnight. If I start panicking on the train, I might decide to annoy you with text messages...lol.

Sarah (seh1980)

Hi Sarah

I think you are very brave and strong for making the journey - good for you for not letting panic beat you. Hope you have a truly fab time and that you forget all about your anxiety once you've met up with everyone. Look forward to hearing how it goes!

Love Jo xxx

Hi Jo,
    Thanks a lot for your support!! I will definetly let you know how it goes.
    Sarah (seh1980)

Hi Sarah

Just like you were anxious about going to leeds you will be fine once you get on your way. You really enjoyed your day out at leeds even if it was a different and new place to you. Just remember that and you will be fine. Enjoy yourself and let us all know how you get on. Take care.

Lots of love Sal xxxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information