Thread: Racing heart

Racing heart

My heart feels like its beating way too fast, was so worried yesterday went to docs and was told its 125bpm! Was told to relax and breathe deeply but I just can't. Even sat at home it's racing. Have had ECG and was all normal, so worried tho:-/

Re: Racing heart

Heart rate always goes high when you are anxious, it isn't going to harm you. Try taking deep breaths in and letting it out very slowly. x

Have been to A and E twice with this problem, first time my heart was 170 bpm and similar the second time. Had ECG (3 times) blood tests and all normal.
    GP did a test with me last time I went to see him, he took my pulse when I arrived at appointment, it was 132bpm then he took it again at the end of the appointment once we had talked through my issues. It had dropped to 81bpm, this small experiment was enough to convince me that it is anxiety causing my racing heart, sometimes races even when I am just watching telly.
    Wanted to share this with you, hope it makes you feel a little calmer.

this is one of my problems at the moment.. racing, banging, heartbeat - also missed beats. i'm trying to convince myself, as the GP says, that's it's nothing dangerous, but it's very hard to keep calm when you feel your heart doing weird things!

i hope you can find a way to relax Mumx3, once you've proved that relaxing brings the rate down, it gives you confidence to not get so anxious next time it happens...

I have had quite a few problems with tachycardia recently too....

Seems to be aggravated after alcohol use, so have avoided drinking much...

Once my heart rate goes up I find it almost impossible to slow things down, so I find I have just have to wait until my body brings things to it's natural conclusion...

Very frustating and distressing when it happens, also because it has happened when I've been driving I've even been wary of driving long distances in case it happens when I'm too far from home.

I once called an ambulance who checked my heart rate - it was 145bpm while sitting down (!) - but they said that the ECG was normal just that the heart rate was elevated due to anxiety / panic attack.

Anyone have much experience of tachycardia, and how to slow the heart rate back down again?

It's very difficult when in the midst of a 'racing heart' event like this - it's hard to think rationally, at the time it just feels like your heart is never going to slow down and you might have a heart attack!

Although we all know that we WON'T!

Help!

How long has your elevated heart rate been going on for ?

I can relate to this and have now been on Proponolol for a year to keep the heart rate down. My episodes were made worse by chocolate, caffeine and cola, so have cut all these out and anxiety (which is not so easy to lower). It often happens at night too.

I've experienced long sessions of slight elevated ie 120bpm for a week with extreme racing heart for anything up to a few minutes to a few hours and it feels exhausting. Do you find you become nauseous and lose your appetite ?

If it continues to be over 100bpm best to go and talk to your GP again.
    The Prop. really does help you get things back in control again.

I've had these episodes over the past year, they sometimes lasti for minutes or up to half and hour, how about you?

Thanks for your replies, this is one of many horrible symptoms. Sometimes have it for hours, along with muzzy/funny head, knotty stomach and general yukky feeling. Have had so many tests; bloods, liver, thyroid, ct brain and sinus scans and opticians all normal. Having chest x rays next week, doc is at a loss but isn't convinced its anxiety. This in itself is worrying, I mean the doc must think there's something she's missing, or else why all the tests! Even sat at home now heart feels like its going to explode. Suffer from asthma and nasal polyps too. Hope everyone has some relief from awful symptoms soon

Hope you feel better soon your doctor is being very thorough but every single symptom you have is a symptom of anxiety.

Thread Information