Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV Programme

TV Programme

Did anyone see a TV programme last week on Channel 4 called 'Fear of Flying'? It was excellent. In it, the presenter, Lawrence Leyton, treated 40 extreme phobics and afterwards 38 of them were able to fly and actually enjoy it.

He used Thought Field therapy (or tapping technique) as one treatment, visualisations, a technique to skew irrational thoughts whereby you either speed them up or slow them down in your head and the brain is then unable to take them seriously.... there was one other technique, but I can't remember it.

After watching the programme I went outside and I had a real bounce in my step. It was amazing to see people before the treatment (who would panic at being raised 15 ft on a crane) and afterwards, where they would happily go to 240 ft!!

I do sincerely believe in the power of self-hypnosis, TFT, NLP and the like. I know that I'm not totally alien to the rest of the human population, that if other people are capable of enjoying roller coasters and flying then I'm able to do so too. All it takes is a shift in our mentality to focus on the positive rather than the negative.

I suppose the problem is committing yourself and allowing yourself to go and do it. I've just started Yoga and people raise their eyebrows about that, but all it really is is stretching (as far as I can tell so far).

I would feel like I was joining a cult if I went to an NLP meeting or something though and it's hard to really get into it just doing it from books and stuff. I'd be concerned about seeing a hypnotist too.

Maybe we should all work through a book or a programme together and keep each other updated.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Hi WIFTS,

Yep, I saw it too, very impressive. You can do the same with EFT too and get the free manual at www.emofree.com, but you maybe need one session with a therapist to get the hang of it.

Don't worry about hypnotherapy, it is brilliant if you can afford it. Just find someone who you really feel comfortable with. My old hypno came from www.hypnotherapist.org.uk and was very professional. As I just mentioned to someone else the free ebook at the address below explains quite a lot about the power of the subconscious mind and should give you some insights.

alicia

This helped me (so I don't go on about it!):
    www.alphadynamics.com

Thanks for that.

Anyone up for reading a book with me and giving feedback as we go?

I've found three on Amazon that I'm interested in:

Positively Happy: Cosmic Ways to Change Your Life
    Noel Edmonds £4.76 or £5.99

Tapping the Healer Within: Using Thought-field Therapy to Instantly Conquer Your Fears, Anxieties and Emotional Distress
    Earl Mindell £7.18 or £8.99

NLP: A Practical Guide to Achieving the Results You Want: Workbook
    Joseph O'Connor £6.00 or £9.89

If a few of us want to do it, I'm sure that it will encourage us to really give it a go and see it through and it will make an excellent post.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Hi

I would be very interested, I have suffered with PA's for over 10 years have been seeing a hypnotist and felt a lot more positive, but now feel I have gone back to the start, I hate leaving the house and am dreading the school run next week.

Please let me know as and when you get any further info

lisax

We have another post about this programme ....

TV PROGRAMME THU 24TH CH 4 FEAR OF FLYING!

If you order from Amazon I would really appreciate you using this link as then NoMorePanic gets a small commission.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...se&site=amazon
    Thanks

Nicola

I saw it and it was good I liked the bit where he was treating people with claustraphobia and they had to visualise a time when they were really happy then squeeze their earlobe and then when he locked them in a small room they squeezed their earlobe again and the feelings of panic were replaced with the nice feeling they had to begin with they could then stay locked up with no fear!!! Havent tried it yet but im going to take care luv kaz x

Hi everyone,

interesting post here. Unfortunately I missed that programme but really wanted to see it! If it'd been advertised more I would have remembered I'm sure, my brain is so scatty I forget things a lot.

Anyway, back to the point, has anyone tried self-hypnosis cds? Are they as effective as proper hypnotherapists? I think the theory of hypnosis makes a lot of sense, changing thought patterns and introducing positive suggestions to the subconscious mind etc. This sounds kind of similar to TFT, NLP...is it?

I just listened to a hypnotherapy session on cd for the first time and was quite skeptical I would even relax, but it was really strange, i remember being told to relax and dont remember much else except waking up suddenly and hearing the voice say 'this is the end of the recording' and feeling very awake!

Su x

Not all of them work, Su, and I speak as someone who has used pretty much every commercially available CD. Quite a few famous hypno ones are little more than nice relaxing music, and one is absolutely terrible since the bloke's voice is a sort of, drawling nasal whine that is really annoying[V]. But, I love the voice on my alphadynamics CDs, all I have to do now is just switch one on and I am gone! There is a really nice guided visualisation - part of the Stress Kit - where you go for a walk on moorland with no music but lots of sound effects and I love that one too. And the best thing is that I have had no anxiety or PAs for over six months now.[^]

alicia

This helped me (so I don't go on about it!):
    www.alphadynamics.com

wow alicia these cds look good, thanks! And thanks for the insight into your experience with thses types of cds, I will bear this in mind and see if i notice any changes in like a month or so, if not, hopefully i will have enough money to get these alphadynamics ones! no anxiety or PAs for over 6 months is pretty impressive! su xx

Squeezing earlobes? Lol that was me in the back row, the one with the grey jumper on, it truly worked for me.. Still think about it but doesnt come back nowhere as bad as it was...

www.lawrenceleyton.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information