Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time medication?

First time medication?

I've posted a lot about medication, I apologise! But I just wanted to know whether side effects of an anti depressant might be worse for someone like me who has never taken any medication what so ever before? I don't even take painkillers for headaches etc as I prefer to just wait to feel better naturally if that makes sense. Will getting used to the tablets take longer for me? I'm also only 19 so I'm worried all this will contribute to a difficult time with starting meds?

Re: First time medication?

What medication have you been given?

I went on medication for the first time ever in August last year, and I don't think my side effects were too bad compared to other people on this forum. Indeed, I've seen people say that they've had worse side effects the second time around.

By the way, I have to take painkillers most months as I get bad period pains and I don't think I'd be able to concentrate on anything otherwise! But apart from that, I don't really ever take any other kind of medicine. Anyway, I don't think taking painkillers (or not) would have any effect on a depression medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    What medication have you been given?
    I've been given Fluoxetine but I want to ask for Citalopram instead because I feel that's more popular so I think I'll feel better about taking it if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle1984 View Post
    I went on medication for the first time ever in August last year, and I don't think my side effects were too bad compared to other people on this forum. Indeed, I've seen people say that they've had worse side effects the second time around.

By the way, I have to take painkillers most months as I get bad period pains and I don't think I'd be able to concentrate on anything otherwise! But apart from that, I don't really ever take any other kind of medicine. Anyway, I don't think taking painkillers (or not) would have any effect on a depression medication.
    Thanks Sparkle, and a big thank you also for your advice on my other threads, you really have helped me more than you will know, really put my mind at ease about the medication too so thank you so much! x

I don't think the side effects would be worse for someone who hasn't taken medication before but different people are effected differently to others and what medication works for one person may not work for another. I can't take SSRI's as I react badly to them but they work really well for others.

Each person is different and medication causes different reactions to each person.
    For example, Citalopram was a nightmare for me and gave me the worst side effects ever so i had to come off it after just one day. Fluoxetine gave me no side effects at all other than losing weight.
    But i've heard of people saying Citalopram worked well for them and Fluoxetine was a nightmare.
    So what i'm saying is you won't know unless you take the medication.
    I hope whatever medication you take works well for you

Side effects depend on the individual. They'll be no words whether its first time on them or not. I've recently started meds, I'd taken them 8 years back and I still had initial start up side effects this time. So I don't think they'll be worse if its your first time on them. It's normal to feel a bit groggy the first month.

I agree, you don't build up a tolerance by being on lots of drugs over the years as they all act differently.

So not having been on medication before will make no difference IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    I don't think the side effects would be worse for someone who hasn't taken medication before but different people are effected differently to others and what medication works for one person may not work for another. I can't take SSRI's as I react badly to them but they work really well for others.
    Same here, I cannot touch SSRI's, yet loads of people recover with them. Try them and see what happens, have a positive attitude towards them, believe they will work, and hope for the best.

If they are not for you then your doctor will probably be happy to prescribe something else thats suitable.

Good luck!!

Jayjoe,

Basically, I started with anxiety at about 13-14, I'm now 19 and have gone through the usual - anxiety, panic attacks, hypochondria, OCD, phobias including fear of needing the toilet when out, social phobia, social avoidance etc and now I'm practically housebound and have been for the past few years.
    I'm so unbelievably miserable and feel I'm riddled with anxiety, going round in a constant cycle that I just don't know how to break.
    I'm unable to do the things I want to (uni, drive etc etc)

Right now, if I didn't have anxiety I would be at Uni, have friends, be able to have a relationship, work, drive, just enjoy life. This is what I want but on the other hand I'm so scared to have it. I'm scared to go back out into the world to the point it makes me feel ill but on the other hand I'm desperate to live again.

I've had CBT in the past but that was soley focused on my health anxiety (it did help and I no longer worry about my health though I do have the understandble little wobbles now and again but it's very rare now).

I've been on the CBT waiting list for a few months now.

I know this is long winded but I have so much to get off my chest, I just need some advice on where to go from here, having suffered for maybe more than 5 years now

I'm so afraid I'll be like this forever...

I was reading this from one your other threads. It made me feel very sad that someone so young could be suffering so much. However, it did also give me a curious thought based on the bits I've highlighted. The question it raised when I compared the two bits was "Which do you fear most - always being housebound because of your fear of toilets or going out?"

It also made me think of this - if someone was put in a box, they would always feel miserable and terrified because they would feel trapped. In their panic they would be scraping at the lid to try to escape because faced with their choice what would they have to lose?

They could take meds to make them feel happier in their box but when they're free, the fear that was keeping them in their box might not actually surface in which case they would be happy and free to live the life they wanted.

Sometimes I think what someone needs is someone to be with them to give them a helping hand when taking those first steps of freedom to show them there's actually nothing to fear and that person could be a therapist or one of their supportive parents who wants to help them overcome their fear.

I know it's far from easy. I used to have toilet phobia myself. I would cover the toilet with paper then fill it so it didn't splash. Even then I wouldn't sit on it. I used to eat lots of fruit the night before to try and clear my insides the next morning but it just made me want to go when I was out.

Later I discovered it was just the fear of needing the loo that made me want the loo. My suggestion would be not to eat or drink before your first attempt and then you can say to yourslf there's nothing to come out when you're out.

I would also suggest that the best time to attempt going out would be on the spur of the moment immediately after you've been so you know you're empty. Just attempt a very short walk alone or with someone and gradually build your confidence up.

I know what I would do for me though and I know what I would do if I had a daughter suffering like you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information