Thread: Period changes due to anxiety and anxiety worse around periods

Question Period changes due to anxiety and anxiety worse around periods

So last year my periods started to be every 2 to 3 weeks. I had to go onto iron tablets for a while. My menstrual cycle has settled down to about 23/4 days, which still isn't obviously good. When that happened I was going through a very stressful time (break up, long working hours and stress at work, probably going to be made redundant). I know my anxiety has gotten worse since then and those things, I believe all contributed to that.

Also I do notice that when my period is almost due and also during it that my anxiety goes sky high. I am anxious at home, at work and more so when I go into shops and supermarkets. Today I went into Morrisons and my head felt funny and my legs felt funny and I didn't want to be in there. I don't think it helps that I was stressed after falling over in the snow :( Luckily no one saw. So much for a nice walk to relax me!

I was just wondering if anyone else has it and is it normal for anxious people? I was also wondering why my period has this affect on me. It's worse as my cycle is a lot shorter than it used to be/others.

Thanks.

Re: Period changes due to anxiety and anxiety worse around periods

My anxiety is definitely worse just before and during my 'period' (I don't technically have periods as I've had my uterus removed, but I still get all the other signs, and even bleed quite often - but that's another story )

I can't say that I've noticed the anxiety affecting my cycles though - but stress can cause issues with periods - either stopping them or messing up the cycle - so that could be having an affect.

But yes, I generally feel like hell just before and during my 'period' so I feel for you

Re: Period changes due to anxiety and anxiety worse around periods

I've just started my first period since coming off cerazette and since starting with anxiety and I feel def worse this last couple of days, can't sleep & feeling very agitated :(

Thread Information