Thread: Burning sensation from sertreline?

Burning sensation from sertreline?

I took my first sertreline tablet today without any water and my chest and throat felt like it was burning and tight. I've drank loads of water to wash it down and 3 hours later it's still feels like it's stuck. What do I do?

Re: Burning sensation from sertreline?

Hun taking any tablets of any sort without water is not a good idea at all.

Although it will cause you no lasting harm, it will cause the discomfort you describe.

Just keep drinking lots of fluid, I doubt that the tablet is actually stuck after this period of time, but it sounds like it has irritated your digestive lining because you took it "dry"

I hope you feel some relief soon

I just had a large bout of diarrhoea and feel really sick. Should I be worried? Doctors put me on 50mg and everyone else says they're starting at 25mg.

It sounds like the diarrhoea and the feeling sick is a side effect that you've got hun

No I wouldn't be worried now because these things are to be expected when starting on Sertraline and it's important to remember that these side effects wont last long, they do stop as your body gets more used to the medication

Hun it's difficult to say about the starting dose as it's a very individual thing, some people start at 25mgs and some start at higher doses, that is really down to your doctor and what they feel you should be starting on, your doctor has obviously decided that starting you on 50mgs is the right thing for you

See how you go but remember antidepressants can take several weeks to get into the system before you will start feeling the benefits, but the benefits are well worth the wait in my opinion

Taking a tablet without water will deffinetly leave you with a burning taste in the throat because of the coating on the tablet.

Tablets do have side effects but also worring about taking them can cause symtoms.

I have been given 50mg tablets but told to cut them in half and take 25mg a day for two weeks to get them in my system then return to see
    him, which I guess he will then say 50mg.

I feel uneasy about taking them. I don't want to feel like something is making me feel more anxious. Last time I was on citalopram for 3-4 weeks and I just couldn't stop crying, so I stopped taking them. I feel really tired, I don't know if it's the tablet or not.

Unfortunately the SSRI's do sometimes cause a little peak in your anxiety when first started them.

When I had mine changed last Summer, my doctor gave me some low dose Diazepam just to help me when I first started the new medication, it did really help too

I know it's hard and a nuisance to have to endure the side effects, but once they kick in, the benefits are just great

I'd go and have a chat with your doctor and see if they can give you something just to help a bit whilst your at the side effect stage

Auntie Moosie - thankyou, although now I feel even stranger. Feel giddy and not all here, feel kind of high. Such a weird feeling, I cant really think. Should I be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by ecila92 View Post
    Auntie Moosie - thankyou, although now I feel even stranger. Feel giddy and not all here, feel kind of high. Such a weird feeling, I cant really think. Should I be worried?
    i had that on sertraline at around day 4-12, it did go though! i was sleeping for 4 hours a night and going to work fine. just wait it out.

im on day five of taken sertraline 50mg (also 40mg of propranolol) and feel awful i have burning senstions through my body headaches diizziness feeling im going mad got no energy just sitting around my partner wanted me to go to hospital this morning to get help but im frightened cant seem to control my mind feels like im losing it. does any one have similar symptoms on this med im hoping its just side effects and it will get better any advise!!!!!!!!

Thread Information