Thread: Well hello all

Well hello all

Hi

I have been just introduced to this site by my wife, who suffers from panic attacks.

I thought I was alone with dealing with this situation but after reading some of the posts has, while saddened me slightly that so many people have to suffer, has also helped me realise that I am not alone.

My wife has had panic attacks for years. We have been together for over a decade and a half and never realised what the attacks were. At first they were few and far between. I thought she was joking when one day she said she had gone blind as we were about to get on a bus. I now realise that is a symtom of an acute attack.

The attacks are now quite common. Triggers for these attacks vary from time to time but ususally fall into the having to travel somewhere or the large space/crowd situation.

The wife's family know about the situation which really came to a head last year after a very serious incident. Progress has been made since then. Such progress in fact that the family now believe everything is now almost back to normal. While this has helped my wife somewhat it has meant that once again I am very alone with trying to deal with this issue.

I am not a strong person. In fact I have my own insecurities. I have a massive family and yet feel alone. I appear to be strong and happy and yet find myself weak and sad inside. I try to hide these feeling so not to upset the wife or trigger resentment but it is hard.

I have however found a way to ease my feeling. It is simple and I have found that it does help. It is to simply tell someone. For ages I have covered up the reason why we cant go anywhere or why we need to leave a party early or why my wife cannot eat anything in front of anyone. I now do not do this. If the issue arises and someone asks I tell them. I dont go into details and I dont mention anything that the wife is uncomfortable in me saying.

I know this might sound like just a rambling note from a newbie but already feel better in myself for getting it down 'on paper'. I only hope that the light that people say exiists at the end of the tunnel is as bright as I hope.

Thanks for reading....

Hi Uncle,

What a kind caring husband you are. Your wife is so lucky to have someone like you behind her for support. You will lots of advice and support here for both you and your wife.

Take Care

Mandyxx

hi i can understand how you feel i have suffered with panic attacks and anxiety for years and i my husband has had to do everything for me he still does he does all the shopping and when my daughter was younger he had to take her out i have had some good days where we could go out as a family but not many when my husband had to go to places alone where we were both invited and i couldn't go he use to make excusses but now he tell them why i am not there it upset him some times when we don't go out together and he feels out of place when there are other couples out together and people ask where is your wife my daughter gets ups set when i can't go to places with her and when i see them like that its heart breaking but we all hug each other and they understand what i am going through i don't have a big family but the ones i do have don't understand and have never tried to any way take care you a nd your wife are not on your own this is a great site and everyone is so helpful love marg

Thread Information