Thread: Relapse after 5 months...please help!

Relapse after 5 months...please help!

Hello all.

I have been on 30 mg of Citalopram for 5 months now. After a rocky first 3 months, December was great for me. Very little anxiety and managed to get out and about.

However, about 2 weeks ago I contracted flu. Since then my anxiety and depression symptoms have relapsed. Although I have not had a panic attack, my anxiety and rumination has returned and I have difficulty sleeping again. Has the medication just stopped working? Surely I should be further along in terms of recovery after this length of time?

Any insights would be appreciated as am feeling very much like things will never get better

Re: Relapse after 5 months...please help!

Hun just hang in there

I would think this has everything to do with you're getting the flu, that will really drag you down hun as it effects your body so much.

Try and make sure that you have plenty of sleep and rest, to give your body chance to recover and try and eat a healthy diet full of fruit and vegetables to get your body built back up hun

I'd give yourself some time to recover from the flu, then if you're still having difficulties, go back and see your doctor, but I'm sure that once the flu has gone you will get back on par to feeling as good as you were hun

Thanks so much AuntieMoosie. Your kind words mean a lot. I guess while I was off sick with the virus I fell into old habits again, eg staying in bed, isolating myself from the outside world etc. I hope this will pass.

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

Has anyone else experienced something similar while on meds?

Hi i had the flu over xmas and was in bed for over a week with it and since then my anxiety is raging again and my panic attacks have come back, like you before that i thought i was getting somewhere on my meds, venlafaxine, ive made an appointment to see my doc tomo as i can't carry on like this xx

So sorry that you are feeling like this Nicola. How long have you been on meds for if you don't mind me asking?

since march but had my dose increased in august, i have had the death of 2 grandparents in the last 2 months to contend with with i really felt i was getting there, i was dancing and singing doing housework on xmas eve and then wham the flu hit xmas day and since then ive been on a downward spiral xx

I am so sorry for your loss Nicola. Xx

It's really amazing how quickly one can take a turn for the worse. All we can take from it, I think, is that things may also take a rapid turn for the better. X

I really hope you start to feel better, if not go and see your doctor xx

Thanks Nicola xx. Has anyone else had the experience of the return of anxiety/ depression symptoms during colds and flu?

Thread Information