Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ATOS medical

Re: ATOS medical

I've been through 2 of these and got zero points both times, I got a copy of the drs report from the first one and he actually wrote that I wasnt suffering from anxiety because I wasn't rocking backwards and forwards!
    For my second one I took my mental health worker with me which really helped, I don't think the dr took any notice of a word he said but it made me feel better having the support. My anxiety was really bad during my 2nd one and it always causes a tight knot and cramping in my stomach and at least this time the dr did admit I looked anxious!
    Basically if you can get through a "normal" day then you are fine to work, at the time of my 2nd medical I was homeless and living in a bed and breakfast, I was having very frequent meetings with my mental health worker and was self harming, I was in no fit state to work, I could barely get through the day most days. They try and trick you into things, like they said do I use facebook, yes, well then you can communicate effectively, he asked me what I'd done at xmas and I said I'd spent it with my sister in Liverpool, ok so that means you can travel long distances without support. It even came down to watching tv, if you have the concentration level to watch tv then you can work.
    They will ask if you shower everyday, what time you go to bed and get up, whether you cook for yourself, wash your clothes, clean your house etc.
    It seems to me the only way you can get through this with enough points is to say you lie in bed all day staring at the ceiling or sleeping, you don't wash, cook, use a phone or computer or read or watch tv.
    Totally ridiculous system and having watched 2 documentary's on the subject and how they "train" the drs made me sooooo mad.
    Anyway, sorry if I've rambled on a bit!
    Hope some of that helps, and hope your phased return to work goes well
    Chezie

i had one last year... i got a real dork of a doctor who had absolutely no personality whatsoever.. made me feel like i was just expected to churn out answers like a robot. some of my issues are not so cut & dried, and i was trying to explain, but she interrupted me twice by just repeating the question. very rude. i felt quite intimidated..

however, i got a phone call from the assessor some time later, who wanted more info, and i did get accepted for the benefit in the end, so it worked out ok.

good luck with yours... a couple of tips, take any meds you're on with you, plus anything else medical that you carry around with you, & maybe a written list of doctors you're under with their addresses/phone numbers on.. they do ask you for specific info at one point on things like that.

Thank you for all the advise everyone. I have a letter from my gp plus occ health report which states that I will probably never be cured from anxiety and that a lot depends on the intense psychotherapy I am having at the moment. I will also take all my meds. Can't really do much more than that. It doesnt seem a very good assessment to me and maybe we should be complaining to our mp's about it.

Lack of "rocking back and forth" was just 1 of the reasons i failed.
    Show up, rock back n forth, mumble and continually ask them to repeat things.
    Dont shave, shower or bathe and wear a robe n slippers.
    Should get you at least 1 point, agoraphobia, social anxiety, GAD and Anorexia Nervosa did'nt get me any points.
    Good Luck.

It is just so ridiculous. Luckily I have a husband working full time so if I don't manage to cope with being back at work we will still have some income. My heart goes out to those of you who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Lack of "rocking back and forth" was just 1 of the reasons i failed.
    Show up, rock back n forth, mumble and continually ask them to repeat things.
    Dont shave, shower or bathe and wear a robe n slippers.
    Should get you at least 1 point, agoraphobia, social anxiety, GAD and Anorexia Nervosa did'nt get me any points.
    Good Luck.
    I got my report too, and it stated I wasnt rocking back and forth so showed no signs of anxiety. I dont rock back and forth, I tap my foot and rub my leg when im anxious, constantly, of which I did, but they conveniently didnt notice this. This time I am more than ready for them, I just hope for their sake I dont lose my temper, because if I do, I wont hold back. They want to see what we are really like, and when I go there they will.

I'm still having my claim assessed. Put it in on 27th November and they are still 'investigating'. Everytime I ring them I get a 'ring back in a few days'

Whats worrying me Annie is the fact that you are planning a phased return to work. If you tell them this, you are basically saying you are fit for work, they will take this and run with it, and so they will give you 0 points. Like I said you can appeal, but you will get the assessment rate of £71 a week I think, and appeal does take quite some time, so you wont be without money. But unfortunately, your honesty isnt going to do you any favours, it will go against you. They dont want you on ESA, and being honest with them is doing them a favour, not you.

I don't rock back and forth either but my fingers are a mess because I constantly pick at the skin round my nails :( I am getting £71 a week from them at the moment. I guess it will take some time to get the report back by which time I will know if I am ok back at work and if not I can then appeal.

The whole ATOS thing, which I know is going through Parliament at the moment, really gets my goat up. It's just so infuriating.

They make you feel like a worthless liar. I would work in an underground mine as opposed to feeling like I do some days!

Outrageous

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information