Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ATOS medical

Re: ATOS medical

Quote Originally Posted by jkkne View Post
    The whole ATOS thing, which I know is going through Parliament at the moment, really gets my goat up. It's just so infuriating.

They make you feel like a worthless liar. I would work in an underground mine as opposed to feeling like I do some days!

Outrageous
    I am really not looking forward to mine now but I really think we should pressure our MP's to have the system changed.

These people are not doctors - as others have said, they are there just to ask you yes/no questions and tick the boxes on the screen. They will try to catch you out though. Just be honest about how your illness affects you (but I agree, don't tell them you are planning a phased return to work).

My first one of these was about 4 years ago. I was declared 'unfit for work' based on my mental health, no further questions. A year later, they sent me forms, I filled them in, a few weeks later they wrote back saying they didn't need to see me as my condition hadn't improved - I was still unfit for work. My honest opinion is that many of you on here are much more debilitated than I was - it seems so unfair that you are having to jump through so many hoops just to be believed. That said.... my mum has COPD, chronic asthma, arthritis, depression and anxiety. She uses a nebuliser for her chest problems (4 - 6 times a day) and can't walk up stairs or even on the flat for very long without having to rest. She is on about 8 different daily meds, as well as extra steroids and antibiotics maybe 4 times every year, she can hardly move in the mornings because of joint pain and stiffness. You get the idea. She 'failed' her assessment 4 months before her 60th birthday (and therefore retirement age) and was forced to sign on for JSA. It just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Her doctor went absolutely crazy and was writing them letters and threatening legal action, they wouldn't back down. In the end, mum was lucky enough to get an intelligent advisor at the job centre who just told her to sign on the dotted line every fortnight, no questions asked.

These people are not medical professionals, they are agents working under contract for the dwp. Do not be intimidated by them, and remember that they have no right to judge you - they are there to ask the questions only. It makes me so mad that our gp's word isn't enough, and what a slap in the face for them after all their years of training!

I agree Angelai it should be our GP's making the decision, not someone who has never even seen or spoken to us before.

As I said earlier Annie, read the descriptors thoroughly, find the ones that apply to you, either work related or support group, and express this strongly to them, its descriptors that matter, nothing else, you could walk in with your arm falling off and no legs, and they'd pass you fit for work because that isnt a descriptor. Its descriptor descriptor descriptor, that is what the computer wants, it wont reason with you, or let you argue with it, it just wants a tick in the correct box, and as long as it does you will be fine. Also watch for the trick questions, also she accidently pushed a pen off the table when I was there, and it landed at my feet, so I picked it up for her, all innocent, but it wasnt, she was checking if I had back issues, of which I dont, and have never attempted to pretend I had, so cant understand why she did that, but she did. They also invent questions to catch you out, I told her I had a dog, bare in mind I told her I dont leave the house, and had told her this 100 times, she then goes on to ask if my dog likes going for walks, how far do she like to walk each day etc etc, well If I dont go out then my dog doesnt go for a walk does she, I have a small dog and a very large garden so dont need to take her out, but then she asked how often do I have a takeaway, how long does it take me to walk there, I told her I dont eat them, then where is my nearest corner shop, is it far from the house, how quickly can I get there and back, thats when I started shouting at her. You tell them you dont go out, then they come back with a question about 'when you go out'. I hate them.

not looking forward to it but will let you all know how it goes and will try to follow your advise.

I passed and got more than enuf points. However I got my allowance stopped because they reckon my hubbies wages are enuf for us to live on. I was working over 60 hours a week when I became ill with panic attacks. Also ive got a disability due to a car crash. I feel cheated. sorry for the whinge. good luck xxxxx

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

After telling my brother in law all that you have told me he said "To be honest, if you just act normal you will easily qualify"! The cheeky thing at least he got me to laugh

Funny, but sadly not true lol if they saw what I can be like I'd be locked up, and the witch still failed me! You are forewarned now, so be prepared, if they smile be on your guard, smiling assassins remember, also there is at least a 1% chance you might get a decent one, just don't count on it. Be strong, you know you're ill and you know your illness. Make sure you relay it, and also remember I'm in at 3.05 so say a little prayer for me yeah lol

I will do Dazza. I will let you know when I get back from mine then will think of you going for yours.

I am getting so anxious about this that I contacted them to request a home visit. They say they will only do a home visit if my doctor sends a letter. I told them I have already sent a letter from my GP saying what my condition is and that he is doing home visits and I should not be expected to attend any meetings. Apparently that is not good enough! It has to say I can NEVER leave the house!!! Obviously I am not going to ask my GP to do that as it is not true. I do have some good days where I CAN leave the house but not very often. I have now contacted my local MP who will contact ATOS and help me with the process. I would really urge everyone else here to contact their MP's as we are being discriminated here due to the assessors having NO understanding of our mental health conditions. I was crying on the phone to ATOS and the woman was so cold and uncaring.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information