Thread: Blood Pressure worries?

Blood Pressure worries?

Hi all,

Had an appointment with my go yesterday and it went fairly well, but the nurse noticed my blood pressure was a bit high, and it was a bit strange as it has always been pretty normal. I eat very healthy, exersize often and am a good weight. As a fairly young man (25), it was a bit concerning to me. Now the night before I ( stupidly) stAyed out late having perhaps a few too many and slept perhaps too little. I let the GP know this and later in my checkup he took my BP again and said that it was going down, and did not seem all too concerned. Because of some family history of high BP, he indicated that he will watch it
    Next year but did not indicate it was a problem.

All that us to say that I had been a little shaken and my anxiety is flaring up. Given that my BP has always been very good, is it possible that my (very) unwise choices the night before had an effect in my BP? Its really got my anxiety flaring up!

Re: Blood Pressure worries?

BP can vary often anyway and it could even have been because you were anxious at the doctors. It could also have been the effects from the night before. If your doctor isn't worried then you shouldn't be worried. Good that they are going to keep a check on it but it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.

What Annie said.

The more you worry about your blood pressure the higher it will go, so don't.

Hi, I'm the same at the moment. Never had high blood pressure until now. I know its easier said than done but worrying about it and being anxious will make it go up. I was supposed to have a 24 hour BP monitor but I only did few hours just made me worse! Dr thinks I now have white coat syndrome!

Take care x

I'm 21 and have been put on BP tablets since april, I worry so much about my heart and stuff, but I've brushed it a side now and try to just forget about it.
    (easier said than done ) I know sleeping late can cause you to have high BP on a one off reading and my BP is ALWAYS high when going to the doctors/hospital it's natural.
    All my Doctor keep saying is, it won't effect me now, but when I'm 40 odd I will start having problems which is why he put me on the medication.
    He's been monitoring my BP for about 3/4 years, and it kept going up when I used to go for my 6 month check-up.
    I had a 24hour BP monitor, and when asleep my BP is completely normal. my average sleep BP was 115/57.
    I too excercise regularly and am the right weight for my height.
    Has anyone else in your family had high BP from a young age?

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm also concerned about the impact on heart health primarily. But given my history of good BP, I'm thinking it may have been a one off type of thing, especially because it was already going down on the second reading about 15 minutes later. At any rate it wasn't high enough to warrant medicine or a follow up ( at least he did not say anything about one). The nurse just mentioned that it was abnormally high given
    My previous BP history. Doctor didn't really make a point of talking about it much and said it could be any number of things. Just wish I wouldn't dwell on these things so much! All of
    Your words of reassurance are doing me
    Loads of good though so thank you so much for all your input!

Hi, I've had the same worry in the past as well. BP will go up when anxious and mine goes up as soon as I'm at the doctors. I bought my own BP monitor and for me it was a good thing. I took it several times at home (ok maybe 20-30!) and it proved to me that at home my bp was normal. some people get obsessive about taking their own bp, but I found it helpful and calming - especially when I have a headache that I think may be caused by high bp.

xxx

Hi guys, I have this problem as well, I am only 17 and went to my GP today who took my blood pressure and it was 147/86, this has terrified me yet she seemed unconcerned, she also noted my heart rate was high. I am fit and am an active rower at my school.

Thread Information