Thread: positive news about sertraline

positive news about sertraline

Hi Guys
    I just wanted to give you all some positive feedback about sertraline. I have been taking 50mg now for 4 weeks and am finally starting to feel more like my normal self. I know this because I have been doing jobs around the house this morning quite actively!
    Just to give you my background, I was diagnosed with PND and initially went on fluexotine last year, I didn't realise at the time that these were giving me panic attacks ( i just thought that was another symtom of PND but now realise it was the drug). They did subside after 2 weeks but I had such a bad experience up until then and also when I came off them ( terribly arguments with my husband), that when my pnd came back this year I was very very reluctant to go back on meds.
    I finally decided to try the sertraline after realising i was getting no better. This was between christmas and new year. Well, the first week, I literally just sat around and did not want to do a thing, nothing. It really worried me, yes my depression, teariness etc seemed to of subsided but now all i could do was, well, nothing. I have my own business too, so ofcourse I have done no work since november either.
    Anyway I spent alot of time on the internet looking up how other people got on with sertraline and ofcourse found lots and lots of bad press about it. ALl this did was highten my anxiety about the drug. Convinced i would never feel better I went back to the docs ( after about 2 weeks on it) for reassurance. He confirmed that my lack of motivation was just a syptom of depression that I'm now noticing more while my serotonin levels top up. Unconvinced, I went home and carried on taking the drug. In the mean time, I have had all the usual symptoms of slight panic ( no where near as bad as I had on fluexotine), anxiety, some depression, feeling like i'd never get better, and almost at times like a feeling of things not being real, like I'm not really there, very odd.
    WHilst all this is going on I am worrying about my business, will I ever want to leave the house again, mix with people, pick up the phone etc.
    So finally, finally, I have been taking these pills for 4 weeks and 1 day and today I am feeling more pro active then I have felt since i started taking them. The doc did say to give them 6 weeks before deciding whether or not they are working.
    I guess all I'm trying to say is, to anyone out there, who like me can only find bad press about the drug they are on, don't panic. Give them time. All drugs affect everyone differently. Trust your doctor, GO TO THE DOCTOR!! They are there to help. If you are stuck in a mental limbo land of worry about your meds, talk to your doctor. I don't feel I can really talk to anyone about my illness, no one really understands it. Not really. Unless you have had it yourself how can you. My friends don't know how to make me feel better, some don't even believe in taking anti depressants ( this just made me feel even worse). But like my doctor said, no one questions a diabetic needing insulin do they? So why can't someone who has no serotonin take a pill to help.
    Anyway enough rambling on, I just hope that I have given someone out there abit of hope because I know how desperately I needed it just a few days/weeks ago. I'm not 100percent yet, but I am now alot more optimistic about how sertraline is helping me.

Re: positive news about sertraline

Thank you for the thread.

Re: positive news about sertraline

Quote Originally Posted by blueblogger View Post
    Hi Guys
    I just wanted to give you all some positive feedback about sertraline. I have been taking 50mg now for 4 weeks and am finally starting to feel more like my normal self. I know this because I have been doing jobs around the house this morning quite actively!
    Just to give you my background, I was diagnosed with PND and initially went on fluexotine last year, I didn't realise at the time that these were giving me panic attacks ( i just thought that was another symtom of PND but now realise it was the drug). They did subside after 2 weeks but I had such a bad experience up until then and also when I came off them ( terribly arguments with my husband), that when my pnd came back this year I was very very reluctant to go back on meds.
    I finally decided to try the sertraline after realising i was getting no better. This was between christmas and new year. Well, the first week, I literally just sat around and did not want to do a thing, nothing. It really worried me, yes my depression, teariness etc seemed to of subsided but now all i could do was, well, nothing. I have my own business too, so ofcourse I have done no work since november either.
    Anyway I spent alot of time on the internet looking up how other people got on with sertraline and ofcourse found lots and lots of bad press about it. ALl this did was highten my anxiety about the drug. Convinced i would never feel better I went back to the docs ( after about 2 weeks on it) for reassurance. He confirmed that my lack of motivation was just a syptom of depression that I'm now noticing more while my serotonin levels top up. Unconvinced, I went home and carried on taking the drug. In the mean time, I have had all the usual symptoms of slight panic ( no where near as bad as I had on fluexotine), anxiety, some depression, feeling like i'd never get better, and almost at times like a feeling of things not being real, like I'm not really there, very odd.
    WHilst all this is going on I am worrying about my business, will I ever want to leave the house again, mix with people, pick up the phone etc.
    So finally, finally, I have been taking these pills for 4 weeks and 1 day and today I am feeling more pro active then I have felt since i started taking them. The doc did say to give them 6 weeks before deciding whether or not they are working.
    I guess all I'm trying to say is, to anyone out there, who like me can only find bad press about the drug they are on, don't panic. Give them time. All drugs affect everyone differently. Trust your doctor, GO TO THE DOCTOR!! They are there to help. If you are stuck in a mental limbo land of worry about your meds, talk to your doctor. I don't feel I can really talk to anyone about my illness, no one really understands it. Not really. Unless you have had it yourself how can you. My friends don't know how to make me feel better, some don't even believe in taking anti depressants ( this just made me feel even worse). But like my doctor said, no one questions a diabetic needing insulin do they? So why can't someone who has no serotonin take a pill to help.
    Anyway enough rambling on, I just hope that I have given someone out there abit of hope because I know how desperately I needed it just a few days/weeks ago. I'm not 100percent yet, but I am now alot more optimistic about how sertraline is helping me.

Great read mate i can fully relate too this as iv been taking it for 3 weeks now im slowly getting there iv been more active in going out than i have since it all started for me way back in march last year....On step at a time tho i went out monday felt good had a real sh*tty day yesturday and stayed in but today iv been out and about had a real good day...Its a rollercoaster ride this recovery process i was so scared before it took me weeks too start taking them but getting there now i relised there was no other opption i couldnt keep feeling the way i was well still do bit its easeing up...Been off work since april need too get back and earn some money cany stand this sitting around at home...Owell ill leave it there good luck too all who give it a try ill keep you all updated...

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blueblogger View Post
    Hi Guys
    Great read mate i can fully relate too this as iv been taking it for 3 weeks now im slowly getting there iv been more active in going out than i have since it all started for me way back in march last year....On step at a time tho i went out monday felt good had a real sh*tty day yesturday and stayed in but today iv been out and about had a real good day...Its a rollercoaster ride this recovery process i was so scared before it took me weeks too start taking them but getting there now i relised there was no other opption i couldnt keep feeling the way i was well still do bit its easeing up...Been off work since april need too get back and earn some money cany stand this sitting around at home...Owell ill leave it there good luck too all who give it a try ill keep you all updated...

Thread Information