Thread: Medication Conundrum

Medication Conundrum

About two weeks ago I had to go and see the doctor for a repeat prescription ( Mirtzapine and Diazepan.) My regular doctor wasn't about, who is great, and I got a job safe doctor who hates Diazepan, thinks they are evil and ALL people are addicted and abuse them. She wouldn't give me my usual 5mgs and reduced them to a month's 2mgs. I've met this sort of doctor before and couldn't be bothered to argue. I'm not addicted and if that's what she wants to do fine. So I didn't complain.

Here's the problem. I got the prescription two weeks ago, I still had some left overs, so didn't go to the pharmacy to get the new prescription. Now I've gone and lost the prescription. I know that there is no point in asking for a new one which is fair enough, I'm sure ' I lost the original prescription' has been used by people who are prone to abuse such medication but again I'm not that bothered. So I'm thinking of discontinuing, gradually, off both. I started on Sunday night and so far, so good. Has anyone else found themselves in a similar position? And if so how did you fare?

J

Re: Medication Conundrum

I feel your diazepam pain, not taken any for days now to prove to them and myself that I'm not addicted, and it's turns out I'm not, go figure!

Anyway, I've lost a script before with dazzapam (my families name for it) and had no trouble getting it redone.

How long have you been on 5mg for? Benzo withdrawal, for some people at least, can be pretty horrible, and so should be done as slowly as possible.

I started weaning off Diaz (12mg daily) last year after being on it for around 7 months. I was reducing 1mg a day every 2 weeks. I was doing fine until I got down to 8mg and then had the rebound anxiety.

Anyway, my circumstances changed and my dose was put up to 15mg a day at the end of July when I suffered a blip. I was on this dose for 2 weeks then reduced back to 12. I have slowly been reducing 1mg a month now and I am back down to 8mg a day.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't rush it, take it very slow and you should be fine. I think I was going too fast the first time around. It may be harder if you are reducing both meds at the same time? Perhaps you should speak to your regular GP for some advice about reducing first, but it's great that you feel you want to come off the meds.

Good luck with it. Kitti

Thread Information