Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meeting an online friend tomorrow - HELP!

Meeting an online friend tomorrow - HELP!

So, I've been talking to this guy on and off for about a year and he's been asking to meet-up for ages, but of course, I've been trying to put it off for as long as possible because, in my mind, it's a very scary thing to do. ;/ I finally summoned up the courage to meet him tomorrow, but I'm still absolutely dreading it... so very tempted to cancel, once again! Got any advice? :(

Re: Meeting an online friend tomorrow - HELP!

I would meet him in a fairly public place and get someone to go with you if you really want to go ahead. If he is genuinely interested he will fully understand why you have brought someone with you.
    I presume this is not through a registered dating agency and therefore I feel though you are intrigued to meet, having someone with you will reduce your anxiety.

Yeah, definitely take someone with you and tell them to meet you in a town square or something. Somewhere that's busy and has loads of people around.

Good Luck! Hope everything works out well for you.

.....and a ninja.

I met my husband online (via a mutual 'real life' acquaintance), and I remember that the first time I met him in person I was very nervous. In fact, like you I cancelled the first time as I didn't think I could go through with it. I did the second time though, and the nerves soon wore off as we got chatting. As Ricardo suggested, I took someone with me to start with. They hung around for the first hour or two, then once we we all satisfied that none of us were axe-wielding maniacs they went home and left us to it.

You will be nervous - it's natural - but as long as you're sensible you'll be fine. To battle the nerves, remind yourself that you meet/speak to perfect strangers every day and (presumably at least) don't get nervous doing so, plus this person isn't a total stranger, so you're onto a winner already

Thanks for the advice, guys! I probably won't be able to bring someone along at such short notice, but the meeting in a public place thing is definitely a good idea. It's also a place I know very well, so if things get awkward I can leave quite promptly. Great that you met your husband that way, Elle-Kay. I'm hoping for more of a friendship here, but will see how things go!

I would add that I met my wife through a mutual friend on a blind date (the only time I have ever went on a blind date ) and 34 years on we are still together having been married for 31 years this April (two life sentences )

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeanz View Post
    So, I've been talking to this guy on and off for about a year and he's been asking to meet-up for ages, but of course, I've been trying to put it off for as long as possible because, in my mind, it's a very scary thing to do. ;/ I finally summoned up the courage to meet him tomorrow, but I'm still absolutely dreading it... so very tempted to cancel, once again! Got any advice? :(
    Good for you! It will be great practice for the Liverpool meet too I hope that this is the start of a positive new friendship for you. Enjoy yourself and let us know how you get on.

Cat

ricardo: Haha, that's great. Good to hear a successful blind date story!

Serenitie: That's true! Though I'm strange and feel more intimidated by the thought of meeting one-on-one rather than a new group. I guess it's because I know the focus will be entirely on me - eep! Will let you know how it goes anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeanz View Post
    ricardo: Haha, that's great. Good to hear a successful blind date story!

Serenitie: That's true! Though I'm strange and feel more intimidated by the thought of meeting one-on-one rather than a new group. I guess it's because I know the focus will be entirely on me - eep! Will let you know how it goes anyways.
    There's nothing strange about feeling more anxious about a one to one as opposed to a group meet. It is completely understandable. Just remember your friend will be feeling anxious too. It will be so worthwhile if you click. Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone. This fact alone will make this meeting a positive experience

JellyB, I also know someone who met their hubby online & they are very much in love. They have two children now & couldn't be happier. I hope it all goes really ell for you but please do follow everyone's sensible advice about meeting in a public place etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information