Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Citalopram

New to Citalopram

Hi everyone!

Sorry... I have another question! I took my first tablet (citalopram 10mg) yesterday (10am) and felt better straightaway (placebo effect???)apart from a slight headache and yawning a lot but I have to say that this morning I felt vile! I woke up after a nightmare and I felt sick, hot and sweaty and physically anxious like I was having a panic attack as soon as i opened my eyes - but instead of coming and going it was like all the time. I was also tired out too! I went back to sleep after about 2 hours (which was weird in itself as I was so anxious) and I feel a bit better now.

I was wondering though, is this the tablet wearing off, or is it the side effects from the tablet coming out? On the leaflet they seem to be the same symptoms! Or is it just me having a new panic that lasted much longer?

The doctor told me to take 5mg instead of 10mg if I had side effects (but to keep on with them as sometimes you feel worse before you feel better) and as I'm not sure if I have side effects or not I took 5mg just now instead of 10mg. But i really don't want to feel this much worse than i did before!!!!

Also does anyone feel like you're battling yourself in an attack? It's like I think of positive things and then my mind throws up something even worse than before... it's like that old fiddle/banjo? song! (the one where there is a competition or something?) I actually think of it that way and although it's funny ~ I'm not sure it helps!!!

Thanks all!
    Neebie X

hi neebie i too had really bad side effects on citalopram i felt sick light-headed and generally really anxious,so i came off it,and am no going it alone(so to speak)so yes it could have been the meds,but then again a few people on here take it and it,s fine for them,so i think it,s just about finding the right meds for you!!!hope this helps
    take care
    rachel x

Hello Neebie!

In my opinion, this sounds like the side effects of the Citalopram. I felt just like this for the first few weeks, never thought it would end and I would never get any better only worse. I think I must have had nearly every side effect on the list plus a few more! But, I stuck it out and am so glad I did 'cos after that I felt so much better. I was stuck in a circle of going to sleep at midnight or after, and then waking at 4.00am in a horrendous panic. Then one night I decided I would stay up and keep awake. I told myself that if I could stay awake past 4.00am I would break the circle - and it worked!
    So try and stick it out, but as I said this is only my opinion!

Hope you will feel a lot better soon!

Lotsa Luv
    xxx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

Hi Neebie, I had side effects for first couple of weeks, then I felt fine, just tired but I am getting on with my life

Take care
    Daisybun

'This too will pass'

I had a horrendous reaction to Citaprolam. I was already in such severe anxiety that the tablets tipped me over the edge, I was up all night vomitting and having diarrhoea, altered perception, rapid heartbeat, sweating and, to be honest, almost suicidal with fear. I gave it a break and tried again with the same result.

I havent taken anything since, but am tempted to try again now my anxiety is less severe, but Im so scared of the "feeling worse before you get better" that I cant even contemplate it.

Sticking to Kalms and camomile tea and flower remedies at the moment.

KathXX

Hi there!

Thanks for all your replies, honestly they have been so helpful I can't begin to tell you!

Well, I've stuck it out and am still on 5mg of Citalopram and the nasty side effects are definately lessening. (Horrible though for first 2 days! Heart pounding, feeling sick, sweating... terrifiying!)

Hoping for the best tho!

I'm wondering now will I have to increase the dose? I don't really want to go up on it in case I have more side effects. Is 5mg enough for some people?

I'm trying hard to stop "what-iffing" - it's not easy tho - I think I've been doing it for a very long time actually. I only noticed I was doing it so much when I tried to counter it! On the positive side... if I'd never had a panic attack and got help and advice here, I still wouldn't know that I was "what -iffing" all the iffing time!

My best to everyone (and my thanks)

Neebie

Hi neebie - i just took my first citalopram last night and I feel sick. Feels like someone is sitting on my head too. I took seroxat years ago and I went through a similar situation then. I stuck it out and felt better after a few days. My hope is that this too will not last very long 'cause I feel pretty rotten just now!

Nicola

Hi there
    I am 5 days in on Citalopram - still taking 5mg but the side effects are starting to wear off and I've had a good day today - maybe they are kicking in? Maybe not - I'm just thankful I don't feel as bad as I did. I'm glad i've stuck them out. Hope you do well on them too.
    Neebie
    XXXXX

I was put on Citalopram back in January, and I only took one of the tablets because I couldn't take the side effects. The morning I took it I felt pretty good, but about 90 minutes or so after taking my first and only tablet I had a big panic attack and it took more than a day to recover from it. I went off the antidepressants altogether. Nowadays I take Valerian if I feel anxious.

Re: New to Citalopram

hi im laura ive just started to take my Citalopram 2day i got 10mg from my doctor is it border line i will have do u kno w

Plz Help :( x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information