Thread: Mental health in the workplace...

Mental health in the workplace...

Hi Everyone.

I was recently laid off 'made redundant' from work, which was a really terrible experience for me. I suffer with OCD and anxiety which was officially diagnosed about 10 months ago.

i have had it for about 4 years, but if anyone is like me its increadably difficult to open up and admit the loss of control to anyone let alone a doctor who doesnt know you.

So he said 'have you thought about telling your boss? i think its important you do'

my response was 'Do i have to ? i cant think of anything worse'

after 3 nights with no sleep worrying about the conversation i was going to have with my i was kind of ready...

i took my doctors note and had the conversation... and actually it wasnt as bad.

BUT

mysteriously 6 weeks later i was 'made redundant'. the office office avoided me once they found out about my condition and i was well and truely out of the business before i had even left.

since this, i have had a huge break donw in confidence and i am emotionally not in a good place as i thought i was doing the best thing.

I am currenly in the process of taking them to a tribunal.

Has anyone else had any horrible experiences like this??

xxx

Re: Mental health in the workplace...

Thats so sad to hear how you were treated :( I went to see my boss when I had a bad bout of depression a few years, I had just come back from the doctors and was in a real bad state, he looked horrified and was so kind to me, sorted my sick pay and everything, I was lucky....what cant everyone be that kind and understanding?
    I hope you get some recompense from being treated so unkindly

it was a real tough situation, because i though i will be totally honest with them. i trusted them. what they didnt realise.. is that this condition is new to me! but it wasnt going to effect my job... or how i work..
    when you hear about discrimination in the workplace, i never thought it would happen to me but here we are! on the plus side i have been enjoying some time off to focus on a few things. xx

I think you are doing the right thing taking them to tribunal as anxiety comes under the Equalities Acc 2010

The thing is, because of the way people discriminate against mental health issues we have to lie or deny the things which are part of us and affect us....I I went for a new job I doubt Id mention anxiety or depression
    Hope things improve for you very soon

thank-you for the support xx

Thread Information