Thread: Anxiety and exercise.

Unhappy Anxiety and exercise.

I know I've posted something to this effect before but it's all so fresh and raw now I had to get it down somewhere.

I'm exercising 3-4 times per week in a bid to lose weight and just generally become more healthy, I have this thing that I think it'll help my anxiety issues.

Well tonight was my first Zumba class, it was an hour long and it was awesome. I was absolutely fine during the whole thing.

It's afterwards, my chest felt tight and my heart was racing - I know my heart was racing because I'd just exercised, but I think the thumping heart scared me and it brought on my anxiety symptoms.

I just really want to know I'm not alone in this, does anyone else experience tight chest when they've exercised and your heart is thumping?

I just get so scared and I don't want to let it ruin this healthy regime for me, I can't become afraid of exercise!

Re: Anxiety and exercise.

i get anxious over a racing heartbeat a lot so your not alone there sometimes i get anxious after a stressful situation just because i think over it too much, and i do get worried after exercise or even running up a flight of stairs too quickly lol

its only the anxiety kicking in over something that you don't find normal and your bound to be tired after doing zumba! it totally wore me out when i did it, it should go away after you've been a few times, hope this helps you

exercise will definielty help your anxiety which is something i need to work on myself. Perhaps once you finish your workout session you can try doign a cool down insttead of just stopping right away.
    Have a brisk walk cooldown period for 5- 10 mins to let your heart rate slowly come back to the norm but during this time, try doing some positive affirmations thinking and saying things to yourself like "No harm can come to me from doing exercise, it will help me get in shape, become healthier and rid my anxiety".
    doing this type of cooldown should take your mind of your heartrate whilst allowing yourself to winddown with positive thoughts after the workout.
    give it a try

Thank you both so much for your replies, I truly appreciate it.

I'm lying in bed now completely unable to sleep! My chest is tight and I can feel my heart thudding even though it's not going particularly fast or anything.

I hate it, I really hate it. I just want my life back so so badly.

When I was about 16 years old (near the start of my anxiety) I climbed a flight of stairs, was breathless at the top -- naturally -- and spent the next month and a half with the feeling that I couldn't breathe and was unable to draw a full breath.

Of course nothing was wrong with me, but for some reason my mind at that moment latched onto a problem and refused to let go for a good long time.

Now I still have breathing issues when I'm panicking (or of course after I exercise) but I don't let it get the best of me and it ends quickly.

It's absolutely random at times how our anxiety is going to effect us. The absolute best thing you can do is sit down and tell yourself that you know it's normal to have a fast heartbeat after exercising, and move on with your life. Only then will it go away.

Enjoy your exercise classes! I never could master Zumba, though it sure is a fantastic workout.

It was hard going that's for sure but like you say it was a brilliant workout.

I'm just so tired of worrying all the time is all. I've spent the night googling heart attack and stroke symptoms and causes, honestly the morbidity that comes along with anxiety is just utterly crazy.

I can't convince myself otherwise, I've been tempted to even go to A&E. I really need to get a grip on this that's for sure.

Dear Wendy,
    I hope you are feeling better today.
    Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine! I wake up and think, straight away, will I be out of breath when I get downstairs. And yes.....I do!! I did the school run this morning and felt breathless and panicky when I got back to the car. I tried controlled breathing (in for 4, out for 7) which does help a bit but then the anxiety and worry that I have a heart problem kicks in and really freaks me out ! I have just attempted the Josie Gibson workout DVD to see if I would be able to breathe OK. WHich I could, until I stopped then I freaked out again. Its a nightmare and I am sick (literally) of feeling this way. What shall we do ? :-( xxx

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wendy35107 View Post
    Thank you both so much for your replies, I truly appreciate it.

I'm lying in bed now completely unable to sleep! My chest is tight and I can feel my heart thudding even though it's not going particularly fast or anything.

I hate it, I really hate it. I just want my life back so so badly.
    Hi Wendy, I have this. Feels as though my heart should be racing but its not. I can feel it thudding, not racing. My resting HR is around 62. xx

Hi Wendy

Firstly well done on taking up exercise! It is known to be good for mental health, and its good that you have found something you enjoy such as Zumba. I too took it up for the same reasons as you - wanting to be generally a bit fitter (as I tire easily chasing after my two step kids) and being aware of the link to mental health.

I totally understand your feeling of anxiety at the end of the class when you feel the racing heart. Have you tried any CBT to try and identify these thoughts that it is something worse than it is?

I haven't been able to attend any of my classes for over a month due to illness, I wonder whether this is having an impact on my current state as I can sense I am slipping into a bit of a blip/downer.

Oh its completely normal! Just today I was walking up the school to get my daughter, it was very windy and cold, I was walking fast which got my heart going, it was fast and that sent my mind wondering and I had a rush of a panic attacking coming but I managed to control it! Stupid I know it wouldnt have happened if I had walked abit slower!
    I can also feel my heart quite alot, even if its a 'normal' rate, resting is around 75bpm but I still dont like it.
    I agree that you should have a warm down after the exercise, slowly bring you heart rate down, you wont feel it so much. Also after time your body will be used to this and your heart wont race so much or take as long to slow down.
    I'm so unfit at the moment, just a run up the stairs is enough!
    Keep going

Thread Information