Thread: heart/lung worries

heart/lung worries

I know there are TONS of posts on palpitations... But I really need to post this as I think I am going out of my mind. My heart has been racing and palpitating like crazy lately. I went to the doctor. Stress test was fine and I had a monitor for 3 weeks. It picked up several "missed beats" but nurse insisted it was not dangerous. I know this can be related to anxiety... but my issue is it feels VERY related to me moving. Until this I was pretty active. But now, whenever I move anywhere (walking, stairs) my heart goes wild. If I am sitting down my heart is usually okay. Even if I am stressed but sitting my heart feels fine. It is directly related to my motion. I also get a sense of breathlessness with all of this. I want to pin it all on anxiety, but why is it related to me walking/moving?? Thanks so much for reading...Can anyone relate? I need help, Im losing it....

-- Anonymous

Re: heart/lung worries

I relate to this exactly. When ever I stand up/walk around I get palpitations (heart beats excessively and more powerfully) as if my adrenaline boots in without no immediate threat.

This would happen in social situations, going to the shops and more. No matter where is is and what i'm doing, when i'm on the move, especially, it happens alot more than what it would when im 'relaxed' and watching T.V.

From using my best friend dr.google. I did some research because I was always worried about my heart. I came to believe that it's adrenaline that's causing the fight or flight response due to being SUB-CONSCIOUSLY worried about nothing whatsoever. The physical symptoms of the fight or flight adrenaline response (heart racing, fluttering, palpitations caused
    SUB-CONSCIOUSLY) was causing me to be CONSCIOUSLY worried about the symptoms (heart racing, fluttering, palpitations, etc.)

So here's the process

1) Sub-Consciously worry (e.g anticipation, anxiety)
    2) Body kicks in adrenaline (fight of flight response):
    3) Physical symptoms show (heart & breathing speeds up from adrenaline)
    4) Consciously aware of symptoms^
    5) Worry about physical symptoms and think I'm having a heart attack)

So I guess the key is here is to control the root cause which is the triggers of your racing heart which is, I believe to train your subconsious and conscious mind (slow down thought processes through meditation and occupying mind - reading, T.V etc) This will in the process calm your heart down due to less anticipation, anxiety and worry).

I've had ECG's/ECHOES/Panic attacks, and even been to hospital twice thinking i was having a heart attack when everything was in my mind! I'm now in control of this from sitting still in one place as much as I can, not walking around as much and watching T.V funnily enough. But key is: Do anything and everything to occupy your mind and RELAX RELAX RELAX at all times. SLOW SLOW DOWN BODY AND MIND <-- it really is the key to success.

You don't want to kick off the process of doom again and the IRRATIONAL thoughts of heart attacks.

Wish you well, Tom.

Tom, thank you SO much for your reply. I am really just struggling so much right now. About a month ago, I would have said that I am recovered from health anxiety. As soon as these palpitation started I went all the way back to where started. It is very frustrating. If they were just coming when anxious, I think I could accept it more. But, they feel very directly related to me being active. My inner ear feels kinda funny, so I am wondering if maybe the adrenalin is coming b/c movement causes something to happen in my inner ear? I honestly do not know anymore. I do know that it helps me immensely to know that there are people out there who understand what I am going through. Sometimes I really feel like I am lost my mind. Thank you again.

-- Anonymous

I do understand what you mean by thinking you have recovered from anxiety and bamm it is random and sudden right? My panic attacks came sometimes once every 2 months, 3 times in 1 month or sometimes everyday. It's a very unpredictable thing.

I believed many many times that it was nothing to do with anxiety and that I do actually have a heart problem... this thought went on for months... but here I am still here still alive... and its been 4 months since my heart worry phase. I look back and think damn, what the hell was I worrying about all those months ago.. all those times I've tried to persuade the paramedic there is something actually wrong with my heart and walking out of the ambulance shaking after being told "It's anxiety".

The paramedic in the ambulance said: "If you always look for a 'problem' you will find one" - This stuck with me.

Over time I realized panic is harmless - my mind is fooled to believe its found a problem. True plain reality is that no its just me over-irrational mind.

I believed exactly how you did. I thought whatever I did movement wise (exercise, walking, shops, etc) I really truly believed it was due to me moving or over exerting. At one point I really did not want to go outside in case I would drop dead.

I doubt anything is happening in your inner ear. BTW if you get any sort of headaches/distorted vision/sensitivity to light or sound. It is a product of anxiety and worry - I used to get that allot - I had very weird sensations, pains and weird nerve spasms in my head whilst going through my 'crazy' phase.

You are really O.k u have nothing to worry about When you're in a dark place u will recover, I've been where you have been ive felt the sense of doom very strongly - It all fades away. I want you to trust me 100%, you will be in a different mindset as these thoughts fade away.

Time is your healer... It's harder done than said but kick back, chill out. Drink some water every now an then, watch tv, listen to radio, meditate, etc... If you've survived it till now, u can survive till you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Get well soon, Tom
    Last edited by Bozzi; 30-01-13 at 05:33.

Thread Information